Holiday Logistics

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

WhyOhWhy
Infuriated

Holiday Logistics

Post by WhyOhWhy » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:52 pm

I know it seems early, but the holidays will be here in 2 months (we kick off our holiday season at Halloween). I have been thinking about this a bit lately and have decided that I think there will be some logistical difficulties this year, especially for Thanksgiving. I will ensure it's nearly impossible for us to hold Thanksgiving at our home (when in reality, I'll be cooking but just for hubby and our children). I'm still working out the details and excuses that I'll be planting the seeds for very soon. There are other logistical ideas I have that I won't publicly post "just in case", but let's just say that carefully laid plans can ensure a much more peaceful scenario...and we could really use a bit of that right now.

Anyone else have the holiday season on their minds?
*** The North Remembers ***

Melody
Nuclear

Re: Holiday Logistics

Post by Melody » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:09 pm

Not so early considering the stress it causes and how quickly "dibs" are called. DH has worked many years as a delivery man. His stepmonster has never been able to grasp the concept that he WORKS long hours during the holiday season and demands we come running early for HER favorite holiday on HER timetable. Thank goodness DH doesn't feel obligated to go anymore and I won't go without him (or at all, lol). And why? Its not like there has ever been any kind of effort and the kids are treated with blatant favortism.

Halloween is fun - and should especially be for the KIDS!

Thanksgiving is being thankful. No reason to spend time with people who only care about gift grabbing.

Yep. That maps out the large plans for our family! :)

WhyOhWhy
Infuriated

Re: Holiday Logistics

Post by WhyOhWhy » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:32 pm

I love it. I just cannot deal with it this year (not that I want to deal with it any year). They essentially hate us and only participate (in what little they participate in) out of obligation (which is, of course, also why we do what we do). I've tried caring. I've tried reaching out and making a connection. I've tried so many things, but they were all thrown back into my face (and worse). I'm happy to keep up the appearance of "The Show" (to some very small extent), but this year I just want to focus on my family and circle the wagons with our friends and loved ones who actually truly care about us.

I'm tired of the superficial gathering of the minds in order to feel good about ourselves that we did the bare minimum. I know they feel the same way, and yet no one is brave enough to change things up. Well, this year I'm making some changes. After I posted this, I talked to DH about it and he agreed that we can do things differently for the holidays this year. We can avoid the parts that are the most disagreeable and focus on the parts that are...tolerable (and sometimes even, dare I say it, almost pleasant).
*** The North Remembers ***