Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby anonvent » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Anyone else have this kind of issue? In the time since SIL and her DD left our house I have had notifications from our email and facebook accounts that a wrong password was entered and I was given the option to reset password or report that it was not me trying to log in with an incorrect password. I just clicked on the link reporting that it was not me. I'm wondering if this is just some crazy coincidence.

DH and I both think our home office was snooped through. Maybe they thought they found a password and are trying to log in? It has happened a few times since they left. Maybe I am just ultra paranoid. :?:

Also, SIL asked to use our desktop computer which even DH was suspicious of. These days everyone (including her) has smart phones that do pretty much everything a computer does. She is way more proficient on her phone that I will ever be. She was on our computer for a while (in our home office) and because we have Windows 10 there is no GUEST account I could have used for her. I know the history was cleared and all accounts were signed out of because I make a habit of never leaving anything logged on and always clear the history after using BUT we do have personal financial documents stored on our computer.
anonvent
Annoyed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby meimei » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:51 pm

I'd say she snooped. I wouldn't let her on your computer anymore,, even if I had to lock up everything with passwords.

I would keep an eye out to see if there are any changes to your accounts. You can also mention to her that you got the notices, or have DH tell her.

Its amazing the crap ils pull.
meimei
Moderator
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:00 pm

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby jigglypuff » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:10 pm

That's too big of a coincidence for it not to have been her.

Its amazing the crap ils pull.


The things these people think they can get away with right? It's mind boggling. She either knows you will know and doesn't care or thinks you and your DH are too stupid to figure it out.

Don't ever let her on your comp again. I wouldn't even allow her in my house anymore. She'll snoop through personal belongings just to find some kind of 'dirt' on you.
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'
jigglypuff
Nuclear
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:32 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby anonvent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:34 am

Nope. I don't want that malicious person in my home ever again.

Weird thing also is that on the day SIL and her DD left I observed SIL walk into our home office and and walk back out a few seconds later. I remember thinking to myself how odd it was. There was absolutely no reason at all for her to go in there. After they were gone I went into the office and noticed someone had closed the closet door shut. We have a house cat and keep the litter box in that closet and leave the closet door open at all times so the cat can come and go. Everyone knows this. I asked DH if he happened to have closed it and he said no he hadn't even been in that room. I know I didn't close it. I know the cat didn't close it. I think she didn't realize I saw her when she went in there. How weird. What an odd thing to do. I really hate to suspect that she purposely was trying to lock the cat out so it would relieve itself elsewhere but I swear that is what it seems like to me. Who does these kinds of things?
anonvent
Annoyed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby jigglypuff » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:12 am

Who does these kinds of things?


Sick, twisted and disordered people do. You will be quite surprised to learn what these people are capable of.

Really, don't ever allow them back in the house. God only knows what else she might do. Stay away from that psycho.
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'
jigglypuff
Nuclear
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:32 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:24 am

I hate snoops and although I'm a class A internet snoop, :wink: I would never look through someone's things in their own home.

Do you keep anything else in that closet that might be snoop-worthy?
Your SIL may have been in there and thought she left the closet open when she snooped. Maybe she didn't want to leave evidence of her snooping and forgetting all about the poor cat, left the very evidence she was trying to avoid.

I've never seen anybody so paranoid as my ESIL about people snooping in her home and stealing her things. Except that it wasn't true. Either she was lying about it or it was just her imagination because the things she'd claim were stolen always showed up.

Ironically she was the biggest snoop of them all, wanting to know everything that wasn't her business. Even when she was a teen, visiting in my home, I kept my file cabinet locked and my purse in a hiding place (so she wouldn't steal from me). It was her own mother who cautioned me about her and who kept her important papers locked in her car glove box!
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear
 
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby IrishLass » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 am

I hate to say this , but I have a wild imagination so hear goes. If your closet is behind your computer desk in your office, it might just be plausible that your oh so darling (yes sarcasm at its finest) SIL set up a spy camera to see you type your password on your computer. If the closet is across from the computer than she probably wants your poor kitty to make a mess. Either way a good Irish saying "It's hard to make a bad thing leave, unless you use whiskey for stand in holy water". Basically means you drink the whiskey get so drunk that your bad company will leave you alone (Helped me on a few occasions ).
IrishLass
Fuming
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby Melody » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 am

You are NOT paranoid! Wow WHAT a lot of audacity! If that woman EVER sets foot in your house again, you and DH keep careful track of her movements. If she goes into your office, sneak up behind her and ask her, "what you doing?". Then watch as her underwear and pants stain. (Never mind the cat box, THAT will be a mess to clean up). What a discusting woman - these needs to stop!

As a general rule, you shouldn't have to lock up anything in your own home! (My kids have small lock boxes for their cash but it prevents any fights - and we do have cleaning people come in).

As for snooping - only stepmonster. But she's so dumb she couldn't logon to anything. But when I got home from the hospital after a minor surgery birth, she tried pawing through all the medical bills and our mail. So that got put away before she was due to arrive. Now thank GOODNESS she hasn't "arrived" in over a year (and its been over two years since we set foot in the lair). Woo woo!
Melody
Nuclear
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby anonvent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 pm

jigglypuff wrote:
Who does these kinds of things?


Sick, twisted and disordered people do. You will be quite surprised to learn what these people are capable of.

Really, don't ever allow them back in the house. God only knows what else she might do. Stay away from that psycho.


Yes, I am really disturbed by everything that happened this last visit. I feel she (and her DD) are far more devious than I thought.
anonvent
Annoyed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby anonvent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:44 pm

rubycrownedkinglet wrote:I hate snoops and although I'm a class A internet snoop, :wink: I would never look through someone's things in their own home.

Do you keep anything else in that closet that might be snoop-worthy?
Your SIL may have been in there and thought she left the closet open when she snooped. Maybe she didn't want to leave evidence of her snooping and forgetting all about the poor cat, left the very evidence she was trying to avoid.

I've never seen anybody so paranoid as my ESIL about people snooping in her home and stealing her things. Except that it wasn't true. Either she was lying about it or it was just her imagination because the things she'd claim were stolen always showed up.

Ironically she was the biggest snoop of them all, wanting to know everything that wasn't her business. Even when she was a teen, visiting in my home, I kept my file cabinet locked and my purse in a hiding place (so she wouldn't steal from me). It was her own mother who cautioned me about her and who kept her important papers locked in her car glove box!


No, there is nothing else in that closet but old clothing in boxes. Funny enough is that it was because of the cat litter box that I knew someone snooped. Before their artival I had been in the office and noticed a fine layer of white dust on my filing cabinets and book shelf. I mentally noted that I needed to dust but wasn't going to do it until after they left as there was no reason for them to even be in the office. The day they left, same day I noticed the closet door closed, I saw fingerprints everywhere in the dust on the file cabinets and bookshelf. I'm guessing whoever snooped did it the middle of the night with their cell phone flashlight.

That is crazy about your ESIL. I don't understand these people at all. DH and I keep our phones & tablets passcode locked. When SIL noticed I had to type in a passcode to get into my phone she said to me, "Passcode to get into your phone? Only people with something to hide lock their phones with a passcode." Um, no stupid, we keep them locked to keep nosey people from snooping through them. That's what I should have said.
anonvent
Annoyed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby anonvent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 pm

IrishLass wrote:I hate to say this , but I have a wild imagination so hear goes. If your closet is behind your computer desk in your office, it might just be plausible that your oh so darling (yes sarcasm at its finest) SIL set up a spy camera to see you type your password on your computer. If the closet is across from the computer than she probably wants your poor kitty to make a mess. Either way a good Irish saying "It's hard to make a bad thing leave, unless you use whiskey for stand in holy water". Basically means you drink the whiskey get so drunk that your bad company will leave you alone (Helped me on a few occasions ).


Honest to goodness, every since they left, I have been very paranoid that they put cameras or something in our house. At this point I'm thinking they are capable of anything. The closet is across from computer.

lol!!! I need to take up whiskey drinking. I definitely could have used a few shots after finally being rid of them in our home.
anonvent
Annoyed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby anonvent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Melody wrote:You are NOT paranoid! Wow WHAT a lot of audacity! If that woman EVER sets foot in your house again, you and DH keep careful track of her movements. If she goes into your office, sneak up behind her and ask her, "what you doing?". Then watch as her underwear and pants stain. (Never mind the cat box, THAT will be a mess to clean up). What a discusting woman - these needs to stop!

As a general rule, you shouldn't have to lock up anything in your own home! (My kids have small lock boxes for their cash but it prevents any fights - and we do have cleaning people come in).

As for snooping - only stepmonster. But she's so dumb she couldn't logon to anything. But when I got home from the hospital after a minor surgery birth, she tried pawing through all the medical bills and our mail. So that got put away before she was due to arrive. Now thank GOODNESS she hasn't "arrived" in over a year (and its been over two years since we set foot in the lair). Woo woo!


Right! I never felt before that I needed to lock up anything. I just assumed people would be respectful and not snoop through our stuff. I know I would never even consider doing that to someone else. I guess this is a problem because they have an agenda against me and trying to pry into our finances. It's so obvious. She yelled at me (when she got me alone) about us hoarding our money and how well off she (thinks) knows we are. It was really shocking and now this snooping and failed log in attempts on our email and FB account.

After reading other stories (like yours about the step monster...crazy) I realize people will do anything. It just reaffirms my suspicions. I'm not being paranoid. There are people that will stoop to anything when they are on a mission. ugh.
anonvent
Annoyed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby Leahg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:15 pm

Why can't you make a "guest" user on Windows 10?
Leahg
Angry
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby Whoever » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 am

It might be worth it to hire professionals to come in and "sweep" your room for any cameras or other devices as well as checking your computer for keystroke software they could access remotely.
Whoever
Annoyed
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby anonvent » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:24 am

Leahg wrote:Why can't you make a "guest" user on Windows 10?
Leahg wrote:Why can't you make a "guest" user on Windows 10?

I'm sure I can make one. It just doesn't come with it like the older windows versions do and I wasn't prepared for someone to use our computer. I should have just said it was broken.
anonvent
Annoyed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Next

Return to In-Laws Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests