Situation

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Situation

Postby Hiddenjem » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 pm

It was sad
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: She broke up with him

Postby blue iris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Jem, I am so sorry! But I hope there will be happier times ahead for DD, and for your whole family. If she broke up with the boyfriend, it was the right thing to do.
blue iris
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 pm

It is a tough situation
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 am

Sorry Hiddengem. Your DD had to do this for a lot of reasons. BF was holding her back and it would have only gotten worse. She would have married him, and been trapped on a number of levels, and then it would have gotten worse with children.

On the very off chance this was meant to be, BF would make drastic drastic change like cutting off his family - but what are the chances of that ever happening/
Melody
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 am

Her doubts will be a temporary thing. BF was not a real man and pressuring someone to do something they are not ready for makes him a bully as well.
DD and yourself will help each other through this, you are a great Mom and of course you are sad for her.
DD will find someone who respects her, has the same outlook on life and wants to be a partner in their relationship.
I hope her busy schedule will make it easier on her sooner rather than later.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby WatchingMyBack » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 am

HJ, I applaud your DD for taking control and putting an end to what was a bad relationship.

The fact that he was pressuring her to be intimate when she has made it clear she doesn't want that, is reason enough. Wouldn't we all like to turn back the clock on things we were pressured to do that we later regretted? Well, she won't have that regret and I am SO happy for her.

I know you liked this BF and he had many good qualities, but the negatives tipped the scales. This chat board exists because of families like his. Mothers like his.

No break-up is ever easy. Most humans are change resistant or fear change. I believe the change will be good for HER, and she is the only one in that relationship that I personally care about the feelings of.

Now she is free to be herself and be open to a relationship that isn't an IL disaster in the making.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Melody, Irshlass, Watchingmyback,

Thank you.

I appreciate all of you.

I don't like change and don't deal with it well.
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:42 pm

HJ, my ODS dated a girl while he was in law school that we absolutely detested.

He was very besotted with her for 2 years, despite everyone (not just us, but his roommate and his friends) that she was self centered and just using him. Everything was always about her.

He found out she had cheated on him with her ex boy friend. ODS was devasted. It was painful to see how hurt he was. About a month later he got himself a puppy and that helped fill the void a little.

Then OSD found DIL. As different from stupid GF as night is from day. Everyone loves DIL. She is the BEST thing that has happened to ODS. Now that they have GS, it is even better.

We are SO happy he didn't stay with that horrible girl. Thank goodness he found out about her cheating and was finally able to see her for who we all saw she was.

Your DD will find her soul mate. That BF wasn't it. He was just a lesson she had to learn.

PS - He still has the dog. She is 12 years old now and in ill health. It will be a sad, sad day when she is gone.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby foxmanb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

After reading your list of reasons, I can only say that I am proud of your daughter, and hope that one day if our daughter is faced with a similar set of circumstances, she would make the same decision.
foxmanb

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Watchingmyback,

Thank you so much! It helped hearing that your ods found someone better.

I am glad the first one didn't become the mother of your gs!

I hope his old dog lives lomger than they predict with her health issues without suffering. Please keep us posted. One of our dogs is old and we treasure each day with him.

Foxmanb,

Thank you! I cried I was so touched by your sweet message. I think that your daughter will have high expectations of how she wants to be treated well because of having a good dad like yourself!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: it happened

Postby Bella07 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:55 pm

I hope that your DD finds happiness. She deserves better than that guy and his family.
Bella07
Fuming

Postby Photomama16 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Tell your DD she did the right thing. He and his family were not good for her. I hope she will find someone absolutely amazing that treats her like a queen and has wonderful parents to boot.
Photomama16
Angry

Postby mamarama » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:36 pm

How is DD doing, now that it's been about a month?
mamarama
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk