Main page -Over my dead body post

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Main page -Over my dead body post

Postby willthetruthbetold » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:05 am

This post made me sad and would like to say this to her:
Go to an attorney and make a will plus instructions. I don't know what the laws are in your state, but you can appoint a guardian in the event that something (God forbid) should happen to both you and your husband. Dreams can be vivid during pregnancy so please don't think that this is some sort of foreshadowing. I had lots of similar dreams and know others who did too. It's because you will be a concerned and involved mom and want the best for your baby.
In addition, you can appoint Godparents (depending on your religion, culture, etc.) to oversee the moral and/or spiritual aspects of your child's life. If you are close to them, tell them of your concerns and have them pledge to watch over your baby in the event something happens to you. You can even write a letter that's sealed and give copies to your attorney and the Godparents... also your parents and even siblings outlining your concerns. Tell them not to open it unless in the event of your death or incapacitation.
I understand very well what you felt when you were writing the post because I had similar fears of what would happen to my DD and DS in the event of my death. My MIL and FIL weren't very involved with my kids but always put in their critical two cents whenever they could. My kids would have been better off being raised by our family dog. I was especially afraid that my Golden SIL would get her hands on my kids and ruin them like she did her own... lots of yelling, slapping, hitting, emotional abuse and very poor nutrition there.... combine that with two adults who are stupid and especially GSIL who hated my DD because she was the first grandchild. My DH and I could never agree on who the guardian would be because he didn't want to hurt his sister/GSIL's feelings (even at the detriment to our children) even with my DB living close by and very involved in our DD and DS's lives.
Your dream was an expression of your fears. If you take action, that scenario will not happen.
willthetruthbetold

Return to In-Laws Talk