Need advice

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Need advice

Postby boogaboo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:18 pm

I've been with my husband for almost 20 years. From day 1, I have always felt his parents did not like me (specifically the mil). Regardless if they don't like me, I know I don't like them for the following reasons:
-my husband has one sibling. a younger brother who still lives at home, he is 40 years old, has no friends (not one) and has an eating disorder that the in-laws refuse to acknowledge or get him help for as they don't believe in psychologists. I do not trust my children around him whatsoever...he is very quiet and strange.
-they are polar opposites of me spiritually and politically
-they are nosy, nosy, nosy!
-they are very enmeshed with my b-i-l and want to try to be the same way with us
-my children are their only grandchildren and they are ITCHING to get hyper-involved in their lives.

We had our problems before the kids came along. I dated my husband for 7 years before we married. When I became pregnant after we got married, that was when they started kissing my butt big time and it hasn't stopped since. I think they are fake and phony and are out for only one thing...my kids.

How do I handle this? They have never babysat or been alone with my kids without me being there (something I know they don't like). We see them half a dozen times per year for a few hours. They are not happy with this and want to be involved much more.

I can't stand these people and I don't want their influence on my kids. Am I being too mean?
boogaboo

Return to In-Laws Talk