Getting to Know You

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Getting to Know You

Postby notreadytomakenice » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:31 pm

I've noticed that there are quite a few of us "regulars" on this forum and I'm sure plenty of lurkers. Without giving too much away, how about we give some introductory info on ourselves. Feel free to give as much or as little info as you want. I'll start off with some basic categories:

Years with Significant Other: married 1 yr. to DH, together almost 10 yrs.
Number of Children: none yet, maybe in a year or two
Most Hated IL: i can't choose just one! SIL and MIL!!
Worst Gift Received from IL: suggestive underwear from my MIL for Christmas (before DH and I got married!)
notreadytomakenice
Infuriated

Postby inhell » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Years with Significant Other: married 1 yr. to DH, together 3 yrs.
Number of Children: none (one dog)
Most Hated IL: FIL
Worst Gift Received from IL: a little nome figurine wrapped in a plastic bag (received a month after my actual birthday)
inhell
Annoyed

Postby ISHATETOOSTRONG » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:02 pm

This is really good to do from time to time. I think it helps out newer members feel comfortable with the more regulars and breaks down the appearance of cliques. Thanks for this great opportunity!

Years with Significant Other: married almost 17 yr. to DH, together 19 yrs.
Number of Children: 3. 2 DS and 1 DD
Most Hated IL: I prefer to avoid hate if possible. Most troublesome? FIL
Worst Gift Received from IL: The Joy of Sex given in all seriousness by MIL.
Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
ISHATETOOSTRONG
Nova

Postby tortured bunny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:13 pm

Years with Significant Other: met March 2004, eloped in May 2007, wedding celebration September 2007
Number of Children: none
Most Disliked IL: tossup between FIL and BIL
Worst Gift Received from IL: $20 in a dollar store card from BIL as wedding present
tortured bunny
Angry

Postby meimei » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:56 pm

Years with Significant Other: married 4 mos, together 9 years
Number of Children: none
Most Disliked IL: MIL,FIL and SIL are evil in their own ways, it's funny they can say opposite things and be the same amount of vile
Worst Gift Received from IL: None, it just bothers me when they intercept, steal and keep gifts sent to us from other people. (oh and then "lose" them when the giver asks us about it and we have no clue and then ask the ILs if they knew anything about it and ask for it back)
meimei

Postby pldfk » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:21 am

Years with Significant Other: Married 9 years, together 12, know each other for 20
Number of Children: 2, DS, 6 & DD, 3
Most Disliked IL: MIL, who is worse with FIL the enabler
Worst Gift Received from IL: If I receive a gift it is not too bad, but usually they with hold gifts "until we do.." or they put DH's name on the outside and mine on the inside, just to make sure he sees that they bought me something :roll:
pldfk
Fuming

Postby olivia » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:07 am

Years with Significant Other: married 1 and a half years. Together 3 and a half yrs
Number of Children: one son (14 weeks)
Most Hated IL: MIL and SIL (hate them both equally)
Worst Gift Received from IL: shitty clothes she bought in America for my son (I’m sure America has a lot more to offer on the subject of fashion, am l right?!) It included clothes she bought in a charity shop or something. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but she wouldn’t spend any money on her first grandchild
olivia
Angry

Postby Mrs Paul Weller » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:12 am

YEARS WITH SIGNIFICANT OTHER: Married in 1985 - split for a bit and eventually remarried 2005 (much to the IL's annoyance!)
NUMBER OF CHILDREN: 2 handsome boys 18 and 22
MOST HATED IN LAW: That's an easy one - BIL and his awful GF
WORST GIFT RECEIVED FROM IL: A rock with our names written on it in glitter - I was, of course, thrilled.......
I'm fab - get used to it IL's!
Mrs Paul Weller
Infuriated

Postby TheIrritated » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:20 am

Years with Significant Other: Married 2. Together 5.
Number of Children: None.
Most Hated IL: ALL of the inlaws.
Worst Gift Received from IL: a 2.99 book from the local truck stop with a candle as a Christmas present, as the "new" gf received a very expensive, HUGE, hanging, picture frame to go on her wall! Needless to say, I was quite embarrassed. She has never liked me. It is obvious.
Last edited by TheIrritated on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheIrritated
Infuriated

Postby howrude! » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:44 am

Years with significant other: 18 1/2
# of kids: 2 boys, both teens
Most Hated IL: They are all inconsiderate!
Worst Gift Rec'd from IL: Was actually not a gift to me. My kids had to sit there and watch their cousins open ALL their Christmas gifts (Santa ones included-about 30 in all) while they opened 4. My boys were supposed to have 5 gifts but SIL and BIL were so busy giving out gifts to their own kids they didn't realize they left the presents for my kids in the closet. If we hadn't gone shopping with SIL when she bought for our kids, we wouldn't have realized they were missing a present. Not a good Christmas at all!
Etiquette, smetiquette! It is called "Common Courtesy, you Dummy"!
howrude!
Enraged

Postby winniewee » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:52 am

Years with SO: DH and I have been married 22 years next month.
Children: 2 DDs 21 and 19..one sil 21..one to be 23 and a GD on the way.
Il issue: My mil the instigator she could heal her family if she wanted them that way..but she thrives on pain.
Worst gift: dolphin earring when the other DILs got birthstones.
2nd- the two identical nighties two years in a row.
My MIL is always giving..her 2 cents that is!
winniewee
Nuclear

Postby kimberly » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:55 am

Years with significant other: Married 13 yrs?..or is it 14?...together 17.

Number of children: (2), 11 yr. old son, 17 month old daughter

Most disliked IL: It's changed over the years, started out with MIL but I wasn't aware to all the backstabbing going on amongst the others. Just dont "like" most of them in general...their poison spreads.

Worst gift received from IL: FIL gave me a 'FRENCH TICKLER' out of a gas station bathroom when I was 16.....if you want to call THAT a gift!
It's my life, so it's mine to make!
kimberly
Fuming

Postby Island of Sanity » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:22 pm

Years Married: Coming up on my 27th anniversary.

Number of Children: Two, one in college, one working.

Most Hated IL: MIL is probably the one who did the most damage, not just to me, but to everyone else in DH's FOO. She's gone now, but she left a legacy of dysfunction that will last her children for the rest of their lives.

Worst Gift Received from MIL: I tried not to criticize her gifts too much, since she never had much money and she probably did the best she could. But the worst gift was probably the packages of dollar-store glitter goo she gave my kids for Christmas one year. It had no real play value at all, it just got all over the furniture and made a mess. Most annoying gift: hand-painted birthday cards (she was an artist) with "portraits" of my children with curly hair and ringlets. Nothing against curls, but my children have very nice straight, silky hair, and it really irked me that she idealized them to her own taste instead of portraying them as the individuals they are.
Island of Sanity

Postby BeStrong » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:26 pm

Years with Significant Other: married 13

Number of Children: two

Most Hated IL: My wifes brother. He ignores me. Her sister was icy for a good 12 years until this past year. She has been better since I stopped coming around. She’s been a little friendlier.

Worst Gift Received from IL: Her sister used to give me old clothes that her husband never used. Once I got one of these traveling cases that you would put a toothbrush in, the kind of gift that you get when you sign up for a credit card. It was missing the straps. It was almost as if she found it in the basement. She also has given me CD’s with $1 tag on them. She paid a dollar and left the tag on them.

Hobbies: I love to exercise, ride my bicycle, go to the gym, chop trees down, and break a sweat.

I’m a devoted husband and father. Monogamous, great provider, I give her back massages and all kinds of favors ;).
I will summon up every ounce of strength to deal with this inlaw nightmare and vow to live my life on my terms. [Be Strong, Be Happy]
BeStrong
Fuming

Postby Ellen » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:53 pm

Years with Significant Other: married 7 years

Number of Children: 3 - 1 DS, 1 SDS, 1 SDD

Most Disliked IL: The pack

Worst Gift Received from IL: a knife
Ellen
Nuclear

Next

Return to In-Laws Talk