Getting to Know You

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby BitterJitter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:07 am

Years with Significant Other: Almost 12 years
Number of Children: 2 older Step and 2 of my own
Most Hated IL: MIL
Worst Gift Received from IL:It's hard to count it as the worst, since it's something I really wanted, a nativity. But before she gave it to me I had to hear how she had to forgive me and was so angry and hurt by me, before she could even think about giving it to me. Thanks? :roll:
BitterJitter
Annoyed

Postby Ladymarmalade » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Years with Significant Other: Almost 5 years
Number of Children: 0 (mil made sure of it)
Worst Gift Received from IL: glass collectables because she collects them and thought that I would...too? :?:
Ladymarmalade
Annoyed

Postby Queenof3 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Early 50's. Dual Israeli-American citizen. Speaks fluent Hebrew.

Profession and personality: RN, extroverted, coffee freak, warm and social. Voracious reader. Funny-especially when being self-deprecating. Can communicate well in the written word. It's the verbal ones that I stumble over at times!

Birth Order: Only child, AKA "super first born"- Kevin Lehman, "The Birth Order Book"

Years with late husband: 23
Year with 2nd husband: one. Got divorced and subsequently got the marriage annulled because he was unable physiologically to have a marriage, which he blames me for. :?: Yes, because years before I came into his life, I caused his rampant diabetes and high blood pressure which fried his :!: into a limp biscuit?

Kids: three teenage boys who are GREAT kids.

Least favorite inlaw from first marriage: FIL, narcissist extraordinaire and his cold b*tch only daughter, who hasn't spoken to me since her only brother died. I ADORED my late MIlove (that's what I called her) & lost her less than a year before my beloved died. (rough year). I miss her every day. After she divorced FIL, she blossomed and was happy her final years.
2nd? Sonny boy, 30-something ne'er do well whom daddy enables & will continue to do so until his dying day, which I hope will be sooner than later.
Last edited by Queenof3 on Fri May 13, 2016 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Queenof3
Angry

Postby Prism » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Years with Significant Other: 13-14
Number of Children: 0
Worst Gift Received from IL: Usually cheap dollar store crap, homemade crap, or nothing because she's cheap. Mostly nothing though.
Prism
Annoyed

Postby orang.beke » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:24 am

Years married with significant other: 5 years
years together with significant other: 9 years
Number of children: 1 (2 year old daughter).
Not looking to get anymore since MIL came to live with us.
Most hated IL: MIL
Worst Gift Received from IL: They were all terrible because she only buy things according to her own taste or things that are cheap. All the things she gave me, I would never use or wear.
orang.beke
Annoyed

Postby Cherrycoke2016 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 am

Hi all!! From the UK. Having a mother in law disaster...thanks for being here <3

Years with Significant Other: married to DH for 2 years. Been together for 4
Number of Children: 1 beautiful DD
Most Hated IL: Well my FIL is dead...so just my MIL. I also hate my nephew...
Worst Gift Received from IL: a washing basket... :?
Cherrycoke2016
Annoyed

Postby PeanutGallery » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Years with Significant Other: Married 1 1/2 year, been together for 2 1/2
Number of Children: None, yet!
Most Hated IL: BIL definitely
Worst Gift Received from IL: A couple of scratch cards for X-mas
PeanutGallery
Annoyed

Postby BatsyKlein » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:32 am

Years with Significant Other: Six
Number of Children: None yet, I'd like to have one soon though.
Most Hated IL: I've gotta give this to MIL, she's the worst.
Worst Gift Received from IL: Some Birthdays ago, MIL got me a (used) shirt that I found out used to belong to DH's ex when she lived with them. :x
BatsyKlein
Annoyed

Postby Bee1979 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello... I am new here.

Years with significant other: 21 together; 14 married
Number of children: one
Most hated in Law: MIL and FIL equally
Worst gift received from in laws: racist-looking gollywog dolls for my unborn child
Bee1979
Annoyed

Postby risingashes » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello all, I'm new here. I tend to lurk places, but I wanted to introduce myself before I post anything.

Years with Significant Other: married 3 yrs, together 8 yrs.
Number of Children: 3 with XH - 3 teen girls 18, 16, 13. D18 is in college, other two live with us and our 2 cats and 1 chinchilla
Most Hated IL: OK, I hate my DH's in-laws. My DH's mom & 2 aunts (his only family) have no interest in me or my kids. On the one hand, that hurts a bit. On the other hand, it's one less thing to worry about. PIL on XH's side were lovely until I divorced him, then they went silent. We recently went NC with my mother, and my stepfather by extension. Still in contact with all of the extended family, because they're awesome, it's really just my DH's MIL that's a nightmare human.
Worst Gift Received from IL: DH's MIL gave me a vacuum for Christmas. Along with a lecture about how often I should be using it.
risingashes
Annoyed

Postby Mara » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:50 am

Years with significant other: 8
Most hated in law: I choose to forgive them and not hate (I know the bitterness would only hurt myself). That being said, FIL is a racist a-hole narcissist and MIL is toxic: high strung, manipulative, selfish, controlling, and extremely critical. I finally went NC with both of them 8 months ago and have never regretted it for a second.
Worst gift from an in law: hmmm FIL doesn't give gifts, MIL is a shopaholic and always gave us tons of stuff (some we appreciated but most we politely declined or returned to the store). The worst aspect of it is every gift she ever gave had strings attached. She used it to try to guilt/manipulate/control us. Too bad for her that I grew up in poverty and am an extremely frugal and perfectly content minimalist!
Mara
Angry

Postby djs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Im not totally new here but it has been quite a few years since I have come to this site. I feel as though I need advice more then ever!

Age - 54 married to DH for 18 years known for 20 years.
Most hated IL - my evil MIL evil Sister in law isn't far behind though

Worst gift - not receiving any gift or celebrating that we were going to have a child! DH's only child.

I hope to receive some helpful guidance on my current status. I just want peace but to play my hand as to not let them get the best of me!
djs
Angry

Postby banana93 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:46 pm

New to the site! :)
Planning to lurk for a while before really getting into to the forums.

Years with Significant Other: married 1 yr. to DH, together 8 yrs.
Number of Children: first is on the way
Most Hated IL: MIL (CO, going on 8 month)
Worst Gift Received from IL: I haven't gotten a gift in awhile (that's fine with me!) but she would always get me the cheap airport gifts that become clutter, think "I <3 NYC" shirts that are to small.
banana93
Angry

Previous

Return to In-Laws Talk