Has anyone ever reported a GoFundMe account?

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Has anyone ever reported a GoFundMe account?

Postby Melody » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:09 pm

I've written about this before, SMIL set up an account to fund her dog's vet bills (dog needed surgery) then baggered the heck out of everyone to send money. DH sent a small amount (gag). SMIL "updated" everyone a month or two later saying the dog had heartworms and had to be treated first. Six months later I wrote a comment asking (somewhat snarkily) when this was happening. Well its now been a year, and as far as I know the surgery has yet to happen.

Incidentally, this woman was charged last year with felonies for stealing, but had them dropped when she ran crying to the right politician.

I don't want to ask DH again, but the last time he asked her it was happening "soon". (I call B.S. and think she spent the money on yet another shopping trip for herself).

So has anyone ever reported a GoFundMe? Are there reprocussions? Am I being vindictive and encouraging bad karma for myself and should just let this go? Thank you.
Last edited by Melody on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melody
Nuclear

Re: Has anyone ever reported a GoFundMe account?

Postby PutMILinherplace » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't think there can be anything done. My understanding is there is a warning before you donate that you donate at your own risk. There is no guarantee the money will be used for what it claims it will be used for.

I defiantly wouldn't donate another dime though. I would tell DH that you will take the money he wants to give to her and go shopping. Why should you pay for her shopping trip when you could buy yourself something? :wink: Seriously, anyone who donates to her knowing what she is really is stupid.
PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Postby blue iris » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:48 pm

The only time I have heard of a GoFundMe account being taken down was when someone started one in someone else's name and the real person had it stopped. But yes, you do donate at your own risk.
blue iris
Fuming

Postby Melody » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 am

Thank you PutMILInHerPlace and Blue Iris. I actually had no expectation of any kind of refund. I was just interested if there would be any consequences for committing a scam, or if this could come back to bite the one who reports it.

She should at the very least be embarrassed doing this.
Melody
Nuclear

Postby bsfighter1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am

:lol: not to trivialize your concerns but you had me laughing out loud. Seriously? She sets up a GoFundMe campaign for her dog? If she's that desperate does she not have any suckers (I mean friends) who could help out? I'm sorry your DH fell for it. I'm just trying to put myself in his shoes and think what I would do if my own mother set up a donation campaign for herself. Firstly, I'd probably think that was pretty weird and speak in detail to her about it... and my mom and I have a close relationship but I'd still think it was weird.

Maybe we should all set up a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds for 'the compromised sanity of DILs with bad ILs Foundation.' Seems like it's working for your stepmonster il and her dog's heart worms. Maybe we could all make some serious cash. Lol. :lol:
"I've learned that with narcs, absence doesn't make the heart grow fonder, it makes the heart grow free."
bsfighter1
Fuming

Postby momjeans » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:33 am

In my experience, the only GoFundMe accounts I've ever heard of being shut down, are those where an overwhelmingly amount of people have reported it.

One case that sticks out in my mind is a local case - where the bio mom set up a fund for her young child's funeral cost. The child wasn't deceased, but in the hospital because of abuse at the hands of her mom. It was heartbreaking and awful.
If you don't want to be part of the show, don't heckle the comedian.
momjeans
Angry

Postby Melody » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 pm

@BSfighter - couldn't agree more. As soon as she did it, my first reaction was WTF? Her creative spin it was that this is for "a rescue dog". As in she's always the hero (that is when she's not playing victim), so she's asking funds to "rescue' the dog. Umm, its YOUR PET!!

Meanwhile she harassed the heck out of DH for money and even had the gall to post it on an extended family email network. This is a network DH's cousin set up to notify DH's FATHER's family - which is very large of major news, like if someone in the family was getting married, had a baby, or was sick or died.

Meanwhile talking to stepmonster isn't an option - (nor do I want ANY excuse to have contact with her) the woman never shuts up. She was also quite wealthy at that point (blew a large inheritance on herself and probably an attorney after she was charged with felonies).

@momjeans - that is absolutely horrendous.

So stepmonster isn't the biggest monster on the planet. But I still get very annoyed that she's cheap as anything with us, (don't care about me, but she's only buys some of them gifts as a weapon) but has her grubby hand out to us for her pet.
Melody
Nuclear

Return to In-Laws Talk