A Decent Webcam With The IL's

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

A Decent Webcam With The IL's

Postby Yacky » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Well, I suppose I need to give credit where credit is due (although I'm incredibly cautious, and I'm sure you'll all appreciate that I have very good reasons for my caution).

DH got on webcam to wish his dad a happy birthday. I decided that for the sake of the day, I'd join him and kids in singing Happy Birthday (but then I wandered off to continue working on housework while they chatted).

The conversation actually went very nicely. :o

Both MIL **AND** FIL were engaging, friendly, smiling, and conversational. There weren't any passive-aggressive jabs and there seemed to be sincere interest in what we've all been up to all summer. MIL even mentioned "more frequent webcamming", but I think the best our schedule (and emotional energy) would permit is probably 1x/mo like we used to do "back in better years". I do appreciate, however, the suggestion that they might actually give enough of a crap to want to be in better touch with their son (and grandchildren). We won't have the kids present for every webcam, because we still want to protect them from the toxicity that his family has continually demonstrated over the years, but the fact that my husband might actually have a connection with his parents once in a while I think would be good for his soul (assuming they can continue to be pleasant during the webcam visits for him).

I am happy for my husband, because he's been hurting a lot in recent months over the deep chasm between he and his parents (and yes, he's fully aware that it's mostly because of their BS...he's under no illusions about that...but it still has been heartbreaking for him nonetheless).

I want to be happy for him that he's got some measure of...well, if not a peace then at least a cease fire for now. I still have zero interest in connecting with them, and so will continue to stay in the background...

But....I am sure that for some time to come, I will still be sitting here waiting for the other shoe to drop and/or for them to slip back into the old behaviors of passive-aggressive comments. I guess time will tell. I mean we've been back in the US for a year now, and there's been basically no contact, so hopefully some water has flowed under the bridge - however, leopards cannot change their spots, so I guess we'll see.
~~ Some people really need a great big high-five....to the face....with a baseball bat ~~
Yacky
Enraged

Re: A Decent Webcam With The IL's

Postby Melody » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Hey Yacky. Good for your family however, you know it won't last. I work as a recruiter - almost anyone can behave for a half hour. (Which I'm guessing this was). And they must know they've screwed up royally. But I know you'll keep us posted. :)

MAN I sure wish the in-laws wouldn't behave every few visits, it does tend to keep my DuH on the hook.
Melody
Nuclear

Postby PutMILinherplace » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah, still wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Hate to be a Debbie Downer but I get the feeling they are up to something. They only behaved because they are about to ask for something.

Don't know if you remember the tv show Lost in Space. As I was reading this I kept hearing the robot go, "Danger Will Roberson, Danger! "
PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Postby Melody » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:03 pm

REALLY PutMILInHerPlace? THAT''S the "Lost in Space" quote you thought of? I'm thinking more along the lines of "OH the Pain...the Pain!" ROFLMAO.
Melody
Nuclear

Postby Yacky » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:35 pm

PutMILinherplace wrote:Yeah, still wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

With these people, there is always the other shoe to drop. I haven't lost all sense or caution, I promise.
~~ Some people really need a great big high-five....to the face....with a baseball bat ~~
Yacky
Enraged

Return to In-Laws Talk