Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Re: Email/Facebook failed log in attempts

Postby mamarama » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. IMO she snooped. Gaw, I wish there were a way you could lift those fingerprints off your file cabinet.

My MIL snooped through the file cabinet in my bedroom and stole one of the two authorized, official copies of dd's birth certificate that I obtained from the court house. Unfortunately, her SS card was right there with her other personal papers. I got her signed up for Lifelock and still have her enrolled to this day. WTH. I suggest you do it too just to be cautious. So much damage can be done with just the basic personal info of someone. If nothing else, it will buy you peace of mind. I wouldn't put it past someone who tries to mess up your house and your accounts to try and mess up your financial life too. srsly. If she was in your file cabinet, she can snap a picture of any document in one second. She wasn't snooping through your file cabinet with good intentions. You can't spin that any way but sinister.

I agree that she wanted the cat to relieve herself somewhere else in your house, as a final "gotchya" to you. how infantile smh

I do know you can get a device that detects any radio waves that are sent from any device within the vicinity. All you have to do is run it around the room, kind of like a stud finder. My exH had one for his job (so he said, but he's BSC). We used it to sweep my BFF's kid's car seat because we thought her nutso X had put a tracking device on it. And that's something he would do.

Check any account that you have to have a PW to access. Bank accounts, email, all social media, etc. I am not anymore surprised at what people will and will not do. Through my ordeal with exH and his crazy mother, I have learned that people are capable of ANYTHING. I also learned that I can't expect people to behave the way I do and hold themselves to the same standards I hold myself. That was part of my problem. I never understood why someone would do X, Y, Z, because the thought never crossed my mind to do such things myself. It was out of my realm of comprehension that people would proudly display their lack of integrity. I can count on 3 fingers the people that I can say with certainty "He/she would never do that because such behavior is beneath them." Sad, but true.

I just thought of something else. Well, two things. First, check all of the windows on the lower level of your house and make sure they're all locked up. She could have left one unlocked so she could sneak back in. (I had it happen to me once.) B&E is not beneath these people. Not joking here. She did it to your file cabinet. Secondly, casually mention to her that you've noticed that some of your accounts have been hacked, some accounts with very sensitive financial information, and that you have reported it to the police and they are investigating as a felony case because of the potential damage that can be done. Usually I don't condone lying, but whatever. Let her sweat for a bit. When people do these sorts of things, they don't think any farther into the future than the immediate moment and they never think that their actions have any consequences beyond the satisfaction they get.
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:36 pm

Since they do stop by occasionally, maybe you could put a motion-triggered webcam or something in the room and turn it on when they come in the house? It would be awesome if you could just walk up to her without saying a word and play a video of her going into your file cabinet.
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:02 pm

So just out of curiosity, did you change your password to something like "SILisaC*NT" yet?
Melody
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:05 pm

^^^ You are hilarious! I just spit out a little soda :lol: :lol: :lol:
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:03 am

:twisted: Could you even imagine if totally SIL slipped and said that this was "mean", ROFLMAO!
Melody
Nuclear

Postby anonvent » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:11 pm

mamarama wrote:The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. IMO she snooped. Gaw, I wish there were a way you could lift those fingerprints off your file cabinet.

My MIL snooped through the file cabinet in my bedroom and stole one of the two authorized, official copies of dd's birth certificate that I obtained from the court house. Unfortunately, her SS card was right there with her other personal papers. I got her signed up for Lifelock and still have her enrolled to this day. WTH. I suggest you do it too just to be cautious. So much damage can be done with just the basic personal info of someone. If nothing else, it will buy you peace of mind. I wouldn't put it past someone who tries to mess up your house and your accounts to try and mess up your financial life too. srsly. If she was in your file cabinet, she can snap a picture of any document in one second. She wasn't snooping through your file cabinet with good intentions. You can't spin that any way but sinister.

I agree that she wanted the cat to relieve herself somewhere else in your house, as a final "gotchya" to you. how infantile smh

I do know you can get a device that detects any radio waves that are sent from any device within the vicinity. All you have to do is run it around the room, kind of like a stud finder. My exH had one for his job (so he said, but he's BSC). We used it to sweep my BFF's kid's car seat because we thought her nutso X had put a tracking device on it. And that's something he would do.

Check any account that you have to have a PW to access. Bank accounts, email, all social media, etc. I am not anymore surprised at what people will and will not do. Through my ordeal with exH and his crazy mother, I have learned that people are capable of ANYTHING. I also learned that I can't expect people to behave the way I do and hold themselves to the same standards I hold myself. That was part of my problem. I never understood why someone would do X, Y, Z, because the thought never crossed my mind to do such things myself. It was out of my realm of comprehension that people would proudly display their lack of integrity. I can count on 3 fingers the people that I can say with certainty "He/she would never do that because such behavior is beneath them." Sad, but true.

I just thought of something else. Well, two things. First, check all of the windows on the lower level of your house and make sure they're all locked up. She could have left one unlocked so she could sneak back in. (I had it happen to me once.) B&E is not beneath these people. Not joking here. She did it to your file cabinet. Secondly, casually mention to her that you've noticed that some of your accounts have been hacked, some accounts with very sensitive financial information, and that you have reported it to the police and they are investigating as a felony case because of the potential damage that can be done. Usually I don't condone lying, but whatever. Let her sweat for a bit. When people do these sorts of things, they don't think any farther into the future than the immediate moment and they never think that their actions have any consequences beyond the satisfaction they get.

I honestly have been worried about identity theft. ALL of our tax returns (with our income and social security numbers on them) are in the file cabinet as well as some credit card information. My first thought when I noticed the fingerprints all over is that they took pictures of everything.

Thank you for the input and advice. How crazy it is that we all have to deal with these devious people. I did not even think about checking the windows. You are right though and it always better to er on the side of caution. I just wish I had locked up all our stuff and not let her use our computer. Lesson learned.
Last edited by anonvent on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonvent
Annoyed

Postby anonvent » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Melody wrote:So just out of curiosity, did you change your password to something like "SILisaC*NT" yet?

lol!!! Good idea!
anonvent
Annoyed

Previous

Return to In-Laws Talk