What are your current home/ garden/ work projects and goals?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

What are your current home/ garden/ work projects and goals?

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:06 pm

I am working on improving the laundry area, and basement in general!

Also, master bathroom goals (organizing and declittering) are almost finished!

I have a bag of clothes to take to donate ready to go!
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: What are your current home/ garden/ work projects and go

Postby IrishLass » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Kitchen and bathrooms. No clue when I will get bids though. Really just want to pay cash to have them re done.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm

We need to the following in the unfinished basement;

unpack, donate, roll out carpet, install a toliet, build walls for a bathroom downstairs, and finish walls in a bedroom.

Also, the laundry area combo area needs help /Dh's closet area/ clothes line/ pantry needs organized in the basement as well.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:09 pm

The houses are selling very well in our market, but the comps for houses our age have upgrades. These are things we have talked about for years and I put my foot down and finally insisted upon, just before the time DH started talking about moving! Sometime in the next year we will probably put our house on the market and maybe move to NewSILs state. I am not going to rush into a move, and I want to enjoy my upgrades for a year before we do.

Kitchen: The granite countertop guys are scheduled for this Thursday and the guys that are going to demo, rewire and prep the kitchen are coming Wednesday. We will get a crew to paint the cabinets and the rest of the house sometime in the fall.

I am finishing a week long project of regrouting and recaulking my master shower and then sealing the grout. We had a new glass shower surround installed last Thursday and the subcontractor crew was supposed to repair some grout cracks for us as part of the in$$$tallation. Of course when they got here, they had no idea about that and when they broke a tile and replaced it, they did it with caulk. It isn't in a highly visible spot so, OK I guess, but they had no grout with them and seemed to have never heard it was part of the deal, so I blew it off and did it myself.

DH now claims he doesn't remember that I volunteered years ago to fix the master shower if he would just recaulk the terribly cracked seams of the guest bathtub so we could use it while I worked on the shower. (New grout has to dry for several days before sealing.) I asked him, reminded him, and then asked him if he was ever going to do it and the answer I got was something like if I stopped nagging him, he'd do it. That was before he retired in 2010!

So, prepping for the install, I recaulked the guest tub myself. It took 6 hours and finally a blow dryer (thanks, Youtube) to get the 17 YO old caulk out and put the new in. The new caulk was from a tube I'd bought last year, and once each year, all the way back to 2009, so DH wouldn't have the excuse that we didn't have the supplies for the job. Epic fail. It was too old and the caulk just fell away from the seams after a few days with the consistency of :x sticky gum. Another 2 hours to get that out involved a silicone remover spray. But it worked and in the mean time, I went back to Youtube and discovered a secret to working with silicone caulk, so the second caulking went much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPq4iqxPI2I

Almost done. By this time next week my house will seem almost new.
Then I'll have to tackle the yard!

Update: So today is the final caulking and tomorrow is the sealing and then on Monday I get to take the first shower! DH had the nerve to actually "grant" me that for all my hard work. AS IF he was going to get in there first! :lol: Gee thanks, DH. PFFT! Go back and play your video games.
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby blue iris » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Ruby, thanks for the link to that YouTube video! I sent it to my DH. You know, just in case! :wink:
blue iris
Fuming

Postby PutMILinherplace » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:54 pm

I am STILL trying to get unpacked. We moved in our new home in the middle of Jan. My priority was getting the kitchen and bathrooms in workable order, and school boxes unpacked so I could get school lessons going. After that it was getting the bedrooms & closets in usable order. Then it was building bookshelves because I still couldn't get to the books I needed under piles of boxes. Now I am trying to get closets with more shelving so I can store stuff and finish getting stuff in "its place" I also have to get some more bookshelves built. With my DH ongoing health issues and the trips to the hospital, I am just not getting a lot done. :(

SOMEDAY I would like to plant some flowers in the flower beds and get a herb garden going.
PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Postby Hiddenjem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 am

Putmikinherplace,

I am adding building bookshelves my list and unpacking "the rest of the stuff from 3 1/2 years ago." We have bookshelves that didn't survive the move here.

Do you take summer off for homeschooling? When are you having your first day if so? Our first day of homeschool for my 16 year old will be next week. I am down to one in homeschooling.

I have a happy herb graden growing in metal ice type "decorate oval buckets" that were found in the kitchen area of the store. We didn't even drill holes for drainage and they are thriving! The basil, lemon balm, peppermint, work as natural air freshener as well. I hope that they are as happy in the house verses full sun in the all season room!

Sorry to hear about your husbands health issues! How is he doing now?

Ruby,

Thank you for the information on bathroom improvement! I need it. Our master bathtub walls need redone and we can only take baths in there. The hall way bathroom needs rite done around the sink as well!

Congratulations on getting it finished!

We are putting the house in the Southern state up for sale in a few months that we were currently renting out! The last time we checked on it everything was okay except for some mild damage to the wood floor in one of the bedrooms. The renters said that the ceiling is showing the crack again in the ceiling. We will patch it again and repaint it before we show the house to someone.

It is wise to enjoy the upgrades and accomplishments before moving! Plus, you are easing into getting to know the new relatives before moving closer to them!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 pm

blue iris wrote:I sent it to my DH. You know, just in case! :wink:

:lol: Maybe I should send it to mine, too! Now that the shower is done, the caulk around the garden tub next to it looks...very shabby.
Hiddenjem wrote:Do you take summer off for homeschooling? When are you having your first day if so? Our first day of homeschool for my 16 year old will be next week. I am down to one in homeschooling.

My NewSIL homeschools her kids, too. One just graduated and she has 3 left, 15, 13, and 9. The 15 year old is on a college-bound track and will take 2 university courses in addition to her home school this year. NewSIL started them all early on Aug 1 so that the younger 2 could take off the three weeks we will be visiting them next month. We told her not to interrupt their schedule on our account and we could spend time with them all in the evenings, but she insisted and said that was one of the reasons she home schooled the last 7 of her 8 kids, flexibility. Their state ranks dead last many years for schools, another reason. So far they have all done well.

Good luck selling your southern house. It seems there's always something to do to get it ready. As far as your tile and shower in your house, all the tools and supplies are around $40-$50 and excellent instructions are free on Youtube. It's really not a big deal.
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 am

rubycrownedkinglet wrote:Kitchen: The granite countertop guys are scheduled for this Thursday and the guys that are going to demo, rewire and prep the kitchen are coming Wednesday. We will get a crew to paint the cabinets and the rest of the house sometime in the fall.
rubycrownedkinglet wrote:Almost done. By this time next week my house will seem almost new.

Weeelll, not exactly. The prep crew and the granite guys showed up on time but the electrician didn't show up until today-right now in fact. The re-install the appliance guys will show up tomorrow. The back splash tile installers won't show up until Tuesday. We are making our meals on a folding table in my office with our coffee pot, toaster oven and lots of paper plates and plastic cups and utensils. We're roughing it.

I had to laugh at DH because the idea of washing his coffee cup in the bathroom sink was just impossible. Even though I clean it with the same cleaner as the kitchen sink. I gave him a dishtowel and a new sponge wand, some dawn and left. It occurred to me that he has not actually washed a dish in 20/30 years. He huffed and puffed like it was sooo hard. Then yesterday afternoon he had a beer and instead of drinking it out of the bottle he used a chilled mug. And then he left dirty mug on my desk. I moved it to his desk this morning and I haven't heard anything about it since. I have a feeling it will go in the sink after the install tomorrow awaiting me to load it into the dishwasher.

Does anyone else need to have a talk with their SO about a better division of responsibility and household chores?
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby Mara » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:05 pm

I like these kinds of threads. I know it is so important to focus on healing from the toxicity and moving ahead in life.

I'd consider myself a minimalist. Before the kids and I moved in with my parents, our home was so comfy, tidy, calm, serene. I had a place for everything and we had lots of open space. It was easy to keep up with household chores and find time for more important things.

Current living space is a half story attic with one tiny window on the east and west sides of the home. I can only stand up straight in the middle section since the ceiling is so low and slanted. Aside from what's stored in the garage, this attic houses all the possessions I own. It is currently a disaster of boxes and piles.

So I am working to make our attic space more calming. I'm trying to get in the tiny house type mentality, because I need to get rid of a ton of possessions to not feel so suffocated up here. My current project is getting rid of excess clothes. I'm gaining momentum and it is very exciting. I am envisioning this space as a calm sanctuary.

My parents had contemplated renovating the attic, which is almost definitely not going to happen, but I am hoping for one or two skylights. It would make a huge difference to have more natural light in here. We are also planning to paint. But my first priority is to declutter and clean up.
Mara
Angry

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk