Punished for earning two scholarship?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Punished for earning two scholarship?

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Yes.

Daughter learned on first day of work study today that she was now ineligible for a work study job. (She also a worked work study in the same department last school year.) Yes, she has her savings from her summer jobs to pay for gas for her car and insurance. Her car that she bought is paid for thankfully.

The scholarships are $500.00 and $1,000.00. She earned them by professor references, making deans list, and excellent writing skills and content on the essay.

She needed that job!

She has worked in work study with someone who was on full scholarship. It isn't adding up.

It is frustrating! She didn't do anything wrong! The fact that she is 20 is against her. If she was over 24, she may qualify for financial help being self paying. They don't factor in we are supporting three offspring and unable to contribute beyond the few thousand we have already paid. The joys of being the working poor.

She is looking for another job. In this town, jobs are hard to find.

Thanks for listening.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: Punished for earning two scholarship?

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am

Hiddenjem,
It is very frustrating and confusing! Merit awards and financial need arrangements should be separate.
I went to college with a girl who was declared self supporting to qualify for financial aid in the for m of work study. Her parents had to fill out an affidavit of some sort. I'm not sure how it was done, but it may be something you can look into. You would lose the ability to claim her on your taxes though, so weigh the options.
I would suggest to her that she sit down with the financial aid dept of her school and make sure it was done correctly. Can she appeal? If the job is more money than the scholarships, can she rescind them?
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 pm

I very much agree again with Ruby - sorry Ruby I'm becoming a wake riding hussy on your posts!

I was an emancipated minor before entering college. The financial aid officers usually function as bulldogs against pushy parents who want more. In my case, they took pity on me - and possibly on your DD Hiddengem. (I think they understood college was my security).

Things ARE different now and there's a much bigger electronic trail. But at the time - in New York state, I was advised to fill out FAF as normal, Pell grants truthfully, but "pretend to have parents" for TAP . But do ask for their help. The worst that can happen is that they say no.
Melody
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Thank you everyone for the amazing support, feedback, and words of wisdom!

Update-----

She asked them to put the information regarding the situation in writing today and.......(Also, she asked to see the form with the income limits etc. She wanted to verify everything.)

They changed their minds instead and she still has her job! The person "changed" the story about the situation. She was no longer asking daughter to reject the scholarship or keep her job. Everyone was suddenly being really nice to her as well verses acting "odd."
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:45 am

Something's not right. You need to have DD inquiry about why the sudden change of heart. I wouldn't trust Boss with a 10 foot pole. It is not adding up.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the feedback Irishlass!

I agree!

She should probally keep her eyes open for another job while working there as well!

It is now her word against theirs since there are no witnesses (and nothing in writing) regarding the person telling her to quit or reject the scholarship. It just all "challanged" after they learned that dd isn't as naive as they hoped she would be!

Dh told her that she should try to get transferred to a offer department if there is a opening elsewhere.

She pointed it that she is fully trained in the most demanding department that she is in. The department has made it clear though. She is on the "chopping block." He suspects it even could be they are/ were trying to increase work hours for a favorite work study student by trying to get her to quit.
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby jigglypuff » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. She worked hard for what she has and now they're trying to pull the rug from under her. I hope she can find a way around this and make this work.

The joys of being the working poor.

It seems that in this life, people are punished for doing the right thing. Had your DD been a drug addict, pregnant by multiple baby daddies, she'd be eligible for a lot of help. It's all backwards.
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'
jigglypuff
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Thank you Jiggy!

Yes, she would come out ahead in some ways if she made unwise choices! Crazy!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Photomama16 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 am

Hiddenjem,
That is awful! It's been this way for years though. I actually had a financial aid office clerk tell me I would be better off (get a full ride) if I would "just get knocked up" :shock: that was 15 years ago. The ones who work the hardest and deserve these things the most, are the ones who get punished.
Photomama16
Angry

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:53 am

Sadly, what they told you was the truth.

Yes, those who make the logical best choices for a good future was punished by it in this type of situation.

They cut her hours in work study from 18 to 10 because of the small scholarships. We did the math and she is better off keeping the scholarships. She could easily earn the difference with a weekend job.

-----

Our youngest son lost his public school speech therapy when he was 6 for not being a behavior issue in the class room. We were told to encourage him to hit, kick, or throw something if we didn't want him to lose speech. We also don't encourage violence unless it is self defense. We pulled him out of public school for this and other reasons. We paid for his speech therapy and he didn't have to become violent!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Update, she found another job with good hours that replaces her lost work study hours which they reduced! :D
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby jigglypuff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Congrats to her!
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'
jigglypuff
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:50 am

Thank you Jiggy!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:58 am

Woot go daughter, now how do we get her to lose her interest in her bf..... ;)
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks Irishlass!

It sounds like a plan!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk