Huge news!

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Huge news!

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm

My daughter earned her drivers license today! Also, she drove to the grocery by herself!

It has been a emotional and exciting day!

Thanks for listening!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: Huge news!

Postby Melody » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:16 pm

That's wonderful! Although (and I don't want to steal any thunder) when I saw the subject I thought maybe she dumped her BF, lol. But having this kind of independence is a really good thing!
Melody
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Thank you!

I can understand why you felt that way!

The new found Independance could change the dynamics of their relationship.

The lack of a license was holding her back.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby foxmanb » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Woohoo!! Great milestone.
foxmanb

Postby IrishLass » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Congratulations to your daughter. Hope she is loving her bit of independence and it brings great and wonderful adventures to her.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby WatchingMyBack » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 pm

Congratulations to your daughter. Having a license and independent mobility is really a big deal.

I'll never forget the day I got my license (age 16). My DM sent me to a laundry mat to do about 10 loads of laundry that had been piling up because her washer wasn't working and she decided it was "too expensive" to have it fixed (without actually calling anyone to come out and see what was the problem or give her a price to repair it.....)

I drove to the laundry mat, unloaded all those dirty clothes and got the washers started -- only to find that I had locked the keys in the car !! At least I got all of the wash done by the time my DB came with the spare key. I was so upset from my DM screaming at me about how stupid I was and she knew she couldn't trust me to do one simple thing to help her out, and on and on.

The second time I drove alone she had sent me to get gas in her car. She used to put in only $1 or $2 at a time, never ever filling the tank, and she was worried she wouldn't have enough gas to get to work. Well, as I'm driving into the gas station, the car runs out of gas. It had power steering, which locked up when the engine shut off. I still managed to coast in close enough to a pump. I put in the entire $5 she had given me, and boy did I catch it for spending "all" of her money. Didn't I know she needed a $1 to buy cigarettes and a candy bar for lunch at work? My angels were certainly watching over me that day. The gas station was just off a very busy highway (in the Washington DC area), and it was heavy traffic. If that car had run out of gas even a few seconds before, I probably would have been rear ended before I could pull to the side of the road (when the power steering locked up).

Sorry, Hiddenjem! I didn't mean to rain on your daughter's special day :lol: She's lucky to have a Mom like you :wink:
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 pm

Thank you everyone for being happy for her!

I really appreciate this board.
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby blue iris » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Congrats to your daughter on getting her license! That certainly is an important milestone! Good for her!
blue iris
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Thank you everyone!

More news!

She had brake issues today while driving herself to work but stayed calm. Her brake line broke and leaked out the brake fluid. She controlled the car, parked it safely and avoided a accident or injury to herself and another car. I am proud of her. Dh drove her car home to repair it. The car is not braking at all. Thankfully we live (and she works) in the country. We are impressed by how she handled the challange as a very new driver.

Her dad / Dh is fixing her brakes and replacing needed parts. We are buying the repair manual as well!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Try YouTube as well. Fixed our A/C unit by a video on there last year. Love the handy videos on it.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Excellent idea! Thank you!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk