Good things!

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Good things!

Postby Hiddenjem » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:27 pm

What good things happened to you and or your loved ones today or lately?

- We met a nice older gentleman neighbor with a small dog who likes our dogs while on a walk. Plus, our small dogs like the dog owner as well! (Our dogs normally don't like other dogs. Also, they were abused. They don't warm easily to strangers!) His dog was a rescue as well! It was adorable seeing the dogs together! One of ours (the deaf, albino, crooked buck teeth one) appears to be a mix of his dog's breed. His dog has crooked buck teeth as well! If they weren't small dogs, perhaps they wouldn't be so adorable. Or maybe love is blind!

-I have been very homesick for my home state. It works out to have a two night and two day visit soon! :D It has been three long challanging years here in this Midwest state.

-I met another neighbor who has lived here for as long as we have and is close in age to me! She works in the medical field and is a source of career and job connection information for daughter too.

-Also, I met another neighbor who has two young adorable children! They were showing me their bikes. The mom was responsible and actually supervising her children too! (I really appreciate seeing this in parents verses neice in law's "way" !) The next time that I walk my dogs, the boy will know how to ride his bike without training wheels! I can't wait to see him doing so! Maybe, I can be the nice neighbor who the children enjoy talking to when I walk my dogs!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: Good things!

Postby IrishLass » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:09 pm

That's great news HJ. Here is low down on my "good things".

I started sewing classes, really enjoying them and am saving up for a better sewing machine.

Just bought some sheet music for son at his request. Maybe this piano idea was a good one for once.

Mom and her buddies went to Vegas. We haven't heard from dr.s about the scheduled surgery yet but I am hoping someone upstairs is hearing my pleas.

I just made a "lemonade" cake with frozen lemonade that turned out to be really good. Gotta love some YouTube ideas.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby WatchingMyBack » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 am

It is nice to think of what things are "good" right now, because, unfortunately, there is a whole lot of BAD going on that I have no control of (DD causes a lot of drama, Cousin diagnosed with end stage cancer of the pancrease out of the blue, etc).

The Good for me are that my DIL will send me photos and videos daily of GS, who is honestly the light of my life. They FaceTime with us frequently so that GS will "know" us until we move there.

Speaking of which, my house that is 45 minutes from ODS & DIL is closing on 16 Aug. I'm scared to death to be moving from my comfort zone, but looking forward to the positive changes and being able to see GS.

YDS also moved back to that area (higher level position in a new company) and I look forward to spending time with him, too.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:51 pm

I love hearing the exciting news!

Watchingmyback, how old is grandson now? What is the most recent thing that he has done? Is he favoring your son in appearance?

Sorry to hear about dd drama and your ill cousin. Please keep us posted.

Irishlass,

What song is your son currently enjoying playing the most or learning to play?

I am excited for you about about your sewing lessons!

------

Update

More good news

Daughter found a car in her price range today! She is buying it tomorrow and putting it our names for cheaper insurance rates.

The car has a perfect inside (plus has a sunroof) and looks pretty good on the outside. It is big enough for safety reasons. It isn't the car of her dreams but it is a good "while she is working her way through college car."

She likes my car better and we may switch cars if she wants to do so!

I would not mind a sunroof, leather seats, and a bigger trunk.

My car is "sporty" and young looking but yet is a four door.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 am

Hopefully this post will stay in this thread and not eventually get transferred to In-Laws Talk.

DH and I are on the brink of doing some minor/moderate remodeling in our kitchen and replacing our outdated and old shower stall in the master bath. In the midst of choosing the colors and tile for the kitchen, I realized and shared with DH that I was choosing very general colors and not personalizing too much because it felt like it was time to think about...moving.

I actually WANT to move to my new SILs state or the neighboring one just a few miles from where she lives. The area we've researched is about 20-30 minutes from her town and there are houses for sale there that are just a little more than our house appraisal. The whole idea sort of snuck up on me and DH brought it up just after I had done research on taxes and the comparison of standard of living and housing costs. We are retired, so there are no employment issues.

It's a lovely part of the country with mountains in view and lots of national historic parks. My GPs lived just an hour or two from there, so my FOO used to visit the area during our summer vacations. The summers are not as sweltering as they are where we have lived for the last 35 years. They have 4 seasons and snow in the winter (for better or worse).

We are preparing to visit SIL and her family in a couple of months. We have rented a vacation home for a few weeks and we are taking the dog with us in the car on the 20 hour trip. While we are there, we'll look at areas we might want to live in. SILs town was great when they bought their house, but for some reason the little town they live in has experienced a crime wave (drugs) and we wouldn't live there. Not to mention we want to be "phone distance" away, and frankly, I think SIL would totally get that because she and I are similar in the way we look at things.

I'm not sure it will happen but I'm very excited at the prospect. Even though we talk to SIL almost every day, and we traveled with them just 2 months ago, I miss SIL, her sweet husband and her wonderful, funny kids. I want to see them and get together with them. I never felt that way about my old ILs not even once. Neither did DH.
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Hiddenjem - My GS will be 11 months old next week already. This year has really flown by. We did a FT last night and I swear the minute GS saw me, he said "Nana". Maybe it was just baby babble, but it sure sounded like he said it. He looked exactly like ODS when he was born and his first few months, but now he definitely favors DIL a lot. He seems to have gotten the best of both of them so far. Everyone still comments that he is one of the prettiest babies (he has HUGE eyes that are an unusual shade of blue. ODS and DIL do not have blue eyes. My DF did and my siblings do, but this is not the same blue as they all have.) His favorite toys are books, especially books with numbers, and he loves musical toys that he can manipulate to make sounds. Mostly always a happy baby, too, so a lot of fun to be around.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby miwako » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:55 pm

The figure I want is available for preorder!
miwako
Enraged

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:12 pm

I washed and cleaned the inside and outside of Dd's "first car" today! It smelled like the previous owners manly body spray before I cleaned it. Now, it smells like a ladies car!

She loves it now! The sunroof makes a big difference!

If she changes her mind, one of her brothers will buy it from her! It is nice! It just isn't her favorite color (it is gray with mild green undertones based on the light.)
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 am

Deans list has been posted at Dd's college! We took a picture of her standing by the list of names! (She made Deans list!)
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Mara » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Hiddenjem - great idea for a thread! :)

I initially came to the forum because I'm feeling very down and don't have anyone to talk to :( it's so hard when you are clouded by depression, but I know practicing gratitude and focusing on the good in life is necessary and so beneficial. I don't want to be positive because there are so many frustrations and sorrows and fears weighing me down, but here it goes:

We currently have a reprieve from scorching hot summer weather.
I caught up on sleep last night (I've been sick for a week now).
My baby is sleeping right now!!!
My kids and I went swimming at the pool a few times lately. We enjoyed ourselves and I was able to get my mind off everything for a little bit.
Mara
Angry

Postby IrishLass » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:25 pm

HJ, DS right now is practicing "Disney" scores. It is so he can entertain his much younger cousins. He says once he is better he would like the "Flash" music score. So far he seems to love it.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm

- was struck in Cin. Ohio construction traffic jam with daughter in a car without air conditioning The air compressor died right before getting to the traffic jam! It happened in extremely hot and muggy weather for four hours. We managed to make the drinking water supply I had last though! (Note to self, in future pack extra water not just bring "some water." )

-gained a spa like experience facial sauna beauty experience for my skin while sitting on blacktop road in daughter's car with sun roof open in hot sun in traffic yam! My face / pores looks good though! I didn't even need foundation today!

-gained highlights from sun in my hair from daughters sunroof being open in traffic jam

-A car pulled out into the road driving fast without looking that I was driving on without looking. He was driving towards my drivers door! I managed to defensive drive and steer to the right in time and away from being t boned / hit. Thankfully, no one was parked on the right side of the road or I would of had to hit them to avoid from being hit on the driver door! Good news! My daughter's car and I am okay!

-her car flashed the "needs brake fluid" light and I made it to buy brake fluid in time without having brake issues (I had it looked at- has a slow leak in the brake line from salt on roads.) the traffic jam caused the low fluid issue. I bought more brake fluid to keep on hand. Mechanic said the sensor is very sensitive (or even overly so) to fluid levels and brake line is still good.

- found a farmer fruit stand selling peaches, cucumbers and watermelon! Plus, next store a place that sold water! I bought many jugs of drinking water for the trunk! Also, next to that building, Wendy's for baked potatoes with pickles on them and ice water to drink ! It was like seeing a mirage in the desert after getting out of the 4 hour traffic jam!

-hotel had air conditioning, a fridge and microwave in room (we were dehydrated from the traffic jam.) The fridge came in handy for storing our cold snacks, veggies and fruit!

-complimentary orange juice in the mornings at the hotel

- grocery store there had chocolate humus! It was delicious spread on graham crackers!

-grocery store there had dairy free cheese its crackers!

I am so glad to be home! We were drained from dehydration, and exposure to the heat but had a hotel room to recover in and managed to get the needed errands done!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Lots good here! Nice thread! (Hiddengem you made me laugh with some of your comments!).

My younger two just had good checkups only minor complaints! They're healthy thank goodness!

My ODS just got his driver's license. He can bring himself to some of his activities!

My ODD was accepted as Varsity athlete at the end of her freshman year! She is currently working on completing an EMT course!
Melody
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Congratulations Melody on good health for your youngest children, having another licensed driver in the house, and your daughters athletic acomplishment!

Irishlass, I am so pleased for your son enjoying exploring his musical talent!

Mara, I am so happy that you and your children enjoyed a pleasant swim!

-----------

Only four more days left of the Midwest current heatwave! The end is in sight!

We are grateful for central air in our home and the air conditioning working in my car!

We bought local grown delicious peaches, blueberries, fresh green beans, and fresh sweet corn today!

Our pool looks clear and inviting! (It is just too challanging to breathe outside for asthmatic like us though!) The frogs are enjoying swiming though!

I have two permit driving offspring! I took them both out driving this evening. It went well!

It was older sons first time driving ever! He drove in a large country parking lot with a long road leading to it.

Daughter drove through traffic intersections , drove to a state park and through the park with a long winding roads, practiced parking, made turns, and drove on some country area business roads.
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Naps

Rain, Oh so wet and wonderful , refreshing, well filling, plant watering, pool filling up bliss

The much needed break from muggy, and hot weather

Finding a friendly grocery store and small town that is open to formerly out of state people existing here

Country roads

Cruise control on car

A new mop and floor edge scrubbing brush

Getting organized

Goals

Stress gripper and relaxation breathing techniques for use when teaching daughter how to drive

Hope
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk