Advice: change ownership car title?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Advice: change ownership car title?

Postby Mara » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:53 pm

I want my name off H's car's title and his name off mine. I believe our title is "H AND Mara" not "H OR Mara." Does anyone know if we both need to be physically present at the DMV, or if I was able to persuade him of this, could I just bring in both titles with our signatures to do it without him?

I am not sure I can even persuade him to do this. And I really want my second car key back and I don't know if I will ever see it again :( it is the key with the keyless entry buttons on it so I know it's expensive to replace, plus I just don't want him owning a key to my car!!' I've tried different excuses to try and get the key from him "incase I get locked out" (he said if I got locked out he would drive over an hour to unlock it!!!) and "bring it so I can make sure all the buttons work properly because mine isn't working right" (but he hasnt).
Mara
Angry

Re: Advice: change ownership car title?

Postby Hiddenjem » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't know how that would work while you are still married verses separated or divorced.

I once found a free advice lawyer website though. I think it was "Ask a lawyer" in my search engine.

If you call or visit a law school, they have students who are about to graduate and can be helpful as well.

What if you "lost" your keys? A friend could bring her house key that you could of given her " for emergencies." Perhaps your Dh would give up his key then? I was thinking that they could get lost at a store and " no one turned them in." If you say that you last had them in a bathroom, no security camera would be checked to "help" you. Then, call him saying that you and the children are stranded at ------ and your keys are lost.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Call your local DMV to see if you can remove your spouse from title and ask about removing yourself from his. I would take your car to the local dealership and ask about having a new lock mechanism put in due to your soon to be "ex" not giving you the keys back. I don't know if they can just reprogram the keyless or not but might be worth the cost for your peace of mind.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby miwako » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:07 pm

I agree, I think changing the lock is the best option for the key question.

As for the title, it's going to vary by state. When I lived in California changing the title like that would be a major undertaking, but here in Illinois they don't care as long as they get the money.
miwako
Enraged

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk