Kitchen "Mishaps ".

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Kitchen "Mishaps ".

Postby IrishLass » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:16 am

So I unknowingly left out bread dough all night (would not usually be a problem but it had been rising since 5 am previous day). Not sure how I forgot about it. DH being his usual helpful self, put said dough (not realizing it needed kneading) into oven to bake. About 20 mins go by then you hear a kind of boom sound. Needless to say oven has exploded dough and DH was late for work trying to clean up oven. We both were laughing to hard to really clean it so will need to be scrubbed before next loaf can be baked. Thank goodness for grilling season. Anyone else relate?
IrishLass
Fuming

Re: Kitchen "Mishaps ".

Postby WatchingMyBack » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 am

I was making a broccoli and cheese soup one evening.

The recipe called for cooking the broccoli and chicken broth a bit until tender, then puree in the blender.

I thought I had let it cool down enough (the recipe didn't even say to let it cool at all), and poured it into the (plastic) blender container. The bottom of the blender container instantly started cracking and the chicken broth began pouring out.

I snatched the container to hold it over the sink, causing the blender base to fall off the counter and crack. It may have even dented the floor tile.

It was an old blender that had been a gift from the bank (that tells you how old it was, since it has probably been 30 or more years since banks ever did that!), so I wasn't super upset at losing it.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:48 am

I put bread in the toaster early this morning. The plan was to quickly get dressed, grab shoes, have keys in hand, and then grab toast.

The problem was I never plugged in the toaster.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Well I feel somewhat mollified. Oven still being scrubbed. Who knew dough could be such a glue like substance??!!! Lol
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:35 pm

My worst kitchen mishap was when I worked as a nanny as a 19 year old. I was making orange juice from concentrate for the children. I dropped the concentrate can on the tile floor.

The mom was a bit ocd about fear of stickiness. She had me mop that floor over and over. She was still convinced that I could of missed a spot. I will never forget it!

My offspring all know the rule we have about opening the orange juice concentrate cans in the sink and dumping it in the sink "just in case."

Sorry to hear about your oven mess! Are you using a oven cleaner? Dh likes a non amonia one that you leave on and it wipe off.

Maybe pour boiling water with lemon concentrate or a lemon wedge in cake pans and close the oven door. If it works for cleaning a microwave......
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Finally got oven cleaned. I did do the lemon thing you suggested HJ. It makes the house smell better than oven cleaner. Definitely the one of the better kitchen mishaps. About 5 years ago DH and DS decided to try making me a Birthday cake. I am a "from scratch" baker but poor DH and DS decided to make a "pop rocks" cake. That by far has been the messiest one. Still not sure where they found a recipe, however instead of water they added soda into car and pop rocks. Stuff was all over walls, floor and ceiling. Smh I laughed for weeks about it. It was the thought that counts too me though. Love my boys.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:05 am

Awesome story, Irishlass, I had to laugh imagining the pop rocks and the soda reaction.

My DH and his best buddy, a single man with a nice house and lots of free time decided to try their hand at beer brewing. They were able to re-purpose some of the items we already had, but had to buy a big glass bottle for the fermenting process, complete with rubber hoses and stoppers, etc. They set everything up in the buddy's huge kitchen and got together regularly to make beer.

After the guys made several batches of absolutely delicious beer, one morning we got a call asking us to come over to the friend's house. Somehow the hose that was supposed to vent the bottle got clogged and the pressure built up to such a degree that the hose disconnected and sprayed the contents of the bottle, gallons of super-dark porter style beer. The hose had spun in all directions, evenly coating his kitchen walls, cabinets, the ceiling, his whole wine collection, curtains and completely soaked the kitchen carpet (very unwisely installed by the previous owner). Even dishes in the cabinets got sprayed because of how strong the pressure was. I've never seen or smelled such a mess! It took hours for us to clean it all. I lost my taste for beer for a long time after that.

While it did spur the friend to redecorate his kitchen, we all agreed that they should try a different hobby.
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby Photomama16 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh Ruby..that beer story is the worst I have ever heard. For us, in our last rental home we had precious little cabinet space. Our cats have a love of potatoes. We had taken to putting them on top of the refrigerator because the data would bite holes in them through the bag. One of the potatoes rolled out of the bag and behind the fridge unbeknownst to us. After a couple weeks the kitchen started to stink and I scrubbed EVERY inch of it trying to get rid of the smell. It took us 4 days to pinpoint where the smell was coming from and pull out the fridge to find this rotting potato nearly liquified on the floor. I was scrubbing tile and putting down baking soda to try and pull that awful smell out for two days.
Photomama16
Angry

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Irishlass, I am glad that the lemon trick worked for your oven.

Ruby, just thinking about that kitchen clean up is exhausting! It sounds like it is a good thing that they gave up on the beer business.

The smell of a rotting potatoe is one that you never forget! We have had that happen as well in our home and once when a bag of potatoes came open and one rolled under a seat in the car as well!

The previous owner of this home used the (brick floor with grout) of the all season/ sunroom as a dog kennel for their dog while the dog was home alone all day.

The poor dog had no choice but to potty on the grout and brick floor.

It took an unbelievable amount of scrubbing and bleaching (followed by wetting down grout and sprinkling with baking soda) to get the urine smell to go away in the all season room.

Final note, they tried to give us the dog with the house. We would of been willing to let it stay in its home but it really wanted to eat our pet rabbit! It did seem to like our dogs though. I felt badly for the dog. Can you imagine if you were in its place and someone wanted to leave you with the house? We are attached to our pet rabbit so....
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:07 pm

That poor dog. :(. My sister is not a cook or baker never has been or will be. I usually bake my niece or nephews bday cakes for them and they tell me what they would like. Ladt year I was really ill so my sister tried to make a moon shaped cake for my nephew. Sister really out of her league ended up ordering a cake day of party after two weeks of "practicing" how to make a cake. ( DH was relieved, thought he might have to come up with a dieting story to not eat bday cake. ). Poor sis, what she lacks in cooking she makes up for in cleaning. Thank God my BIL (her DH) is a fantastic cook.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Was your nephew into astrology?

One of my boys went through a stars and moon appreciation stage! It was the theme for his room.

What is your favorite cake theme that you have created?

What started you in cake making?
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:05 am

I started baking/cake making I think due to being tired of the same old, same old taste of cake. My Mammy was not a baker, but my Gran was fantastic and when we spent summers in Ireland with her she would let me help. My Son loves very few things, his fascination with space is his hobby. My nephew the same as him so nephew had seen an "earth" and "moon" cake I made and asked for same. It is a fairly simple process. Just pick out flavor of cake and bake 1/2 in a glass bowl and then other 1/2 in a glass bowl then use icing to stick the two sides together and a long cake knife to shape the cake. Since I am not a professional I usually look up those kinds of cakes in books at the library, however now a days YouTube is great for those. I love going to online cooking sites and getting cake recipes. Some are great others good then some just never work out. The fun for me is in just doing it.
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for sharing the moon cake tip!

I have never tried making a bakery fancy type cake!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk