Can I share some good news?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Can I share some good news?

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm

As everyone knows my offspring have no supportive extended family on either side, and something really exciting has happened for our college aged daughter! (She is working her own way through college with summer jobs and work study during the school year. )

She earned a scholarship that was both essay and academic based! We found out yesterday!

Also, she made it on the Deans List with a 4.0 in a medical field of study!

(It isn't a full ride scholarship but every little bit helps and takes some of the financial stress off her back!)

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it!

Does anyone else have news share? Pets? Children? Moving? Career?
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: Can I share some good news?

Postby blue iris » Thu May 25, 2017 3:01 pm

Yay! Hurray for her! She obviously has supportive parents who encouraged her, too!
blue iris
Fuming

Postby Melody » Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm

That is AWESOME Hiddengem! Wow! Time to celebrate with a great dinner out or whatever! Enjoy - and brag a little! You earned the mom badge of honor!
Melody
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu May 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you Blue Iris and Melody! : )
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby bsfighter1 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:35 am

Goes to show you don't need extended family to raise a successful child. It's nice to have but not mandatory. Great job mom! And great job to your DD as well!
"I've learned that with narcs, absence doesn't make the heart grow fonder, it makes the heart grow free."
bsfighter1
Fuming

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri May 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Thank you Bsfighter!

Yes, we didn't get the perks of breaks and support but base family love and support and encouragement from this board is enough!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Mara » Wed May 31, 2017 10:25 pm

Hiddenjem wrote:As everyone knows my offspring have no supportive extended family on either side, and something really exciting has happened for our college aged daughter! (She is working her own way through college with summer jobs and work study during the school year. )

She earned a scholarship that was both essay and academic based! We found out yesterday!

Also, she made it on the Deans List with a 4.0 in a medical field of study!

(It isn't a full ride scholarship but every little bit helps and takes some of the financial stress off her back!)

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it!

Does anyone else have news share? Pets? Children? Moving? Career?

Congratulations that is wonderful news!!!! Great job to DD!

Here... nothing huge aside from taking a moment to enjoy gorgeous sunny weather and my children and FOO.
Mara
Angry

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed May 31, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank you Mara!

The nice weather is nice! I am happy to hear that you and the children enjoyed the weather as well! What did they enjoy doing the most?

I read a book outside today while listening the birds chirping in our trees! Our yard / trees is the Robin's maternity ward / nursery this year of sorts! It sounds like a nature tape playing outside because there are so many of them!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby jigglypuff » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:49 am

Congrats! That is wonderful news! If I were guaranteed children like your DD, I'd have a bunch lol.
Last edited by jigglypuff on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'
jigglypuff
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Thank you Jiggy! You are so sweet! : )
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby IrishLass » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Way to go DD!! It feels nice talking about something happy in our families every once in awhile. Our DS starts high school next fall and is very involved in computers/science but actually we just discovered that he has a photographic memory( long story short yes he was tested and complained about it the whole time), and is doing great at his piano lessons because of it. He just started piano at 15 yrs of age because his friends play piano and he sheepishly admitted to really loving it. If it gets him off of a computer I am all for it!
IrishLass
Fuming

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 pm

I actually have ILs to brag on! OMG, that's a first.
Two of my new nieces, whom we have grown very close to, were thrilled to announce that their choir has been chosen to perform in a concert with the group, Celtic Woman. Their whole family is very musically inclined, but at 12 and 14, this is the most exciting thing for them!
I wish we could go!
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Irishlass,

Thanks!

Congratulations on your sons photographic memory and piano ability! It is exciting!

-----

Ruby,

Congratulations to your nieces for their achievement with the singing group!

I am happy for them!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:30 am

Congratulations to everyone on these wonderful family accomplishments!

My good news is that my YDS has left Uber in SF and moved back to Atlanta to a much better position with a new company with much better management (he loved Uber, but the management there is THE WORST.) I'm projecting to move into my new home there in November, so am happy to live within 45 minutes of both of my sons, DIL and GS.

Irishlass, my OBIL has an eidetic memory. He speaks 17 or 18 different languages fluently and can read and write them as well. He is a voracious reader and knows a little bit about everything, and has parlayed that into a lucrative career as a financial adviser to heads of governments. Encourage your son to learn different languages. These days, that will really open a lot of doors for him.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Congratulations Watchingmyback! Good things are happening for you and family!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Next

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk