Book or author recommendations please

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Book or author recommendations please

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:13 am

I am on a bifocal honeymoon high! I love seeing well!

Any recommendations of books?

I went to the library and couldn't believe the new world that has opened up! I can see print without headaches in regular size print books! I can read labels on products, and ingredients, and the fine print on anything! (I can thread needles too for yarn crafting or sewing!)

What authors do you enjoy reading?

I am currently reading, "Through the Black Hills, Badlands of South Dakota" by Dewey Peterson The book is very old.

(He had a nice writing style and had vivid descriptions in his book. I feel like I have shared the journey with him so far!)

It is a book form of modern travel shows. (It was a free download online.)

Thank you!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: Book or author recommendations please

Postby i'll rise » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

So great that you're able to see well with your new glasses!

Some good ones include:

- Martha Beck (especially "The Joy Diet"). I find her writing very inspirational
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Joseph Campbell
- The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
i'll rise
Infuriated

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Thank you I'll rise!

I can't wait to check out the books!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 am

What do you like? Fiction? Non-fiction? Classics? Contemporary (meaning the last 40 years)? Best-seller list? Sagas?
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:30 am

I rarely get the chance to read for pleasure, but lately I've been chosing whatever classic books my kids are reading in school so we can discuss them. Maybe ask your DD what she's reading and read it as well and discuss it with her.

I recently read "The Catcher in the Rye" because ODS's English teacher said they would be covering it and I didn't read it in school. It was fun to discuss with ODS, but the real payoff was my daughter's comment (and now I know I am incontinent when I laugh to hard). She said, "Oh, that's a good book! It's about an adolescent boy who whines about everything. He really needed to get over himself!"
Melody
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:12 pm

One of my favorite recommendations is "The Hypnotist's Love Story" by Liane Moriarty.

She's a wonderful author and I enjoy most everything she's written (another good one of her's is "What Alice Forgot". I like "The Hypnotist's Love Story" better.)

I'm also a huge fan of Amy Tan's books. "The Kitchen God's Wife" and "The Bone Setter's Daughter" are my favorites. They all have a similar tome to them, but she really transports you to another world and historical settings that give an interesting perspective.

And if you really want a book that will make you laugh and keep you entertained, "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs He's another one that everything he writes is hilarious to me, but that will always be my favorite.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:58 pm

PS - I'm not "trying to sell you something" BTW :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Warchingmyback, I am glad that it is okay that I outed you as a "not a online book seller!" :lol:

I like books written by Kristin Hannah and history books with the human experience factored in, and etiquette books especially old ones!

Yesterday, I was looking at the options at daughters college library! She could check out books for me as a student there!

On the not favored list, science fiction, romance novels.

In my former state of residence, the public library banned me from checking out books online because I returned them too soon! :D One may think the public library would encourage reading and returning books quickly so that others could have their turn with the download sooner! (I am a speed reader.)

I am on some list of "suspected book pirates" somewhere.

Also, I was previously "grounded" from free internet radio for "excessive listening to music." Maybe I am a list for that as well! (It was back when I gave up television for a year. I read and listened to music.)
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Definitely NO science fiction or "romance" novels here on my recommended list.
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:06 pm

I am writing down the recommended books and headed to the college library! If they don't have the books, I will go to the city and buy them at a used book store!

The library in this state isn't going to have the chance to ban me for speed reading. I am banning the public library first! :D

Thank you everyone for the recommendations!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Hiddenjem, that's nonsense about the ban. I've never heard of such a thing before. I also devour books and will return them pretty quickly (usually next day). I'd ask to speak to a head Librarian about that, or I'd report to the local news as a "WTF" interest story.

And, actually, I AM an online book seller of sorts. We print books on demand for clients and many of them I list for them on Amazon and pay them a Royalty (we print, pack and ship on demand, so it saves them time and money). However, these are all business books and text books. Certainly nothing I'd ever "recommend" on these forums.

(I don't know if you saw the absurd response from equaliser asking if I was "trying to sell him something" when I recommended Toxic In-Laws and Toxic Parents as books to READ (not buy, but READ). I thought it was a pretty ridiculous reaction on his part.)
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:00 pm

I investigated my ban was told, ".... With your checkout history, we have to protect ourselves from illegal book pirating.... It looks too suspicious." They offered me the option to check out a limited number of books a year, and I could be on "probation" for my "reading habit." :lol: I just said forget it and read booksfor free at new and used bookstores since I speed read anyway! I refuse to be shamed for reading fast!

It happened in public school too all the time. Teachers didn't believe me that I had finished reading in class and that I could comprehend the material. I was tested over and over by different teachers were annoyed and angry that I passed the tests and was telling the truth. I kept hearing to not read ahead and not to read anything else! The solution was for me to sit and wait for the class to finish reading and finish the test. I couldn't do any pleasure reading, drawing, homework from other classes, or read ahead. I was offered the chance to be a teachers helper or tutor a slower reader, I declined. (I wanted the opportunity to learn while in school not to do the teachers job for her.)

The public library also banned my then prime learning to love reading age children from getting a free book from the summer reading program and the drawing from ...."reading too many book and listing an above average long list for the program." The result that is horrible is now the boys don't read for pleasure anymore because of it! It didn't bother my daughter though! She reads for fun, information, and just to learn!

I met other suspected book pirates through the years. We talk about dressing the part with costumes pirate hats and carrying a book and clipboard with "banned from enjoying books at public library."

I should of involved the media like I did when the public pool allowed smoking where my children were taking swim lessons! It worked!

Yes, I read the comment and corrected the person on her your behalf. Even if you sell books elsewhere, you gain nothing from recommending books on here! I agree with you about the posters accusation!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Queenof3 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:24 pm

HJ: I just finished Rachel Dolezal's book "In Full Color-Finding My Place in a Black and White World". I found her story fascinating and educational, and her passion for social justice riveting. My mother was a civil rights activist during the MLK years, many Jews were the first to act/volunteer/demonstrate/work b/c of a strong cultural & social justice influence. This lady didn't deserve the vitriol flung at her, an her story is one you won't soon forget.
Queenof3
Angry

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks for the recommendation!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Photomama16 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I am a biography nut, so I read a LOT of them. I just finished Penny Marshall's and it was an interesting read. For fiction - Jodi Picoult, Rebecca Wells, Tracy Chevalier are all authors that I've read multiple times.
Photomama16
Angry

Next

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk