Anyone else? (Weight loss)

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Anyone else? (Weight loss)

Postby Hiddenjem » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:10 pm

I have a confession.

My weight is 17 pounds above what weight looks best for my height. Unless I could I grow taller, then I would be just fine! :)

I had 7 extra pounds on me when I left toxic job. Then, went on and gained ten more. How?

I gained it from stress eating dealing with job hunting stress. I have been eating out of boredom, not exercising, snacking at bedtime, eating while watching tv, and spending too much time not moving.

I feel unattractive and my clothes fit poorly.

Today I took a long walk and watched my food portions. I didn't stress eat or have a bedtime snack.

------------

Anyone else in this situation?

If so, how much do you want to lose? Or gain?

What is your plan to lose it?

How did you gain (or lose)the weight?

How do you feel about yourself at your current weight?
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: Anyone else?

Postby miwako » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm also 17lbs over what I'd like to be. After I started having back problems several years ago my weight crept up. I started a log to count calories and lost about 10lbs, but I too went through a very stressful time, which also coincided with Girl Scout cookie season, and I wound up right back where I started. I'm trying the log again, but I'm still struggling with my motivation. It just takes so long! I'd hoped to be done by around Thanksgiving, but now I'm down 2 with 17 to go.

I feel gross at this weight. Most of my clothes fit poorly, if at all. I have to go to the bathroom constantly because of the fat pushing on my bladder. I feel heavy and it's hard to be physically active. I have outfits I'd like to sew, but I don't because I'm too fat for them to look like I want. People try to tell me I'm not fat and that I don't need to lose anything, and I know they mean to make me feel better but with my history it just feels like gaslighting. A lady at work asked me when my baby was due, and I said "Oh, I'm just fat." She was embarrassed, but I actually was a little happy that someone acknowledged it.
miwako
Enraged

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:30 am

Miwako,

I understand. My favorite clothes do not look flattering. I bought a size up in some tops from a thrift store thinking that size would hide the weight while I am working on losing it. They are too big and my real clothing size is too small. It looks like I may have to take in the sides.

Sorry to hear that you have dealt with back problems. How is your back doing lately?

Thanks for sharing the writing down what you eat idea! I can see how helpful that it would be.

I will start a food journal/ what I did right to safely move back to ideal weight that suits this height.

Today I am going use the hula hoop, make sure I drink plenty of water, limit television and time online and in general time spent sitting down. Also, no snack at bedtime.

We both have been here before and will both be looking back celebrating our weight loss success before we know it as well!

Please keep me posted on how your journey is going!

i know that we can do it!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:35 am

17 seems to be the magic number, isn't it?

As I sit here eating a bagel with cream cheese that I don't need (I had breakfast already, and these were a "treat" for our office and I couldn't resist when I walked by...)

The two things that I know that keep me in the discomfort zone weight wise are 1) Sugar and 2) Menopause.

The only time I can shift my weight is cutting out sugar, which includes no wine. Wine is both my friend and enemy. It takes the edge off after stressing all day (and I do stress all day everyday. DH heaps stress on me 24/7) DH will buy M & M candies and bags of chips and cheese puffs. He thinks he is doing something nice because he knows I will indulge in these treats if they're around. I wish he wouldn't and have told him so many times.

We work long days and by the time we have dinner, clean up, and take care of the dogs, it is already after 8 pm and getting dark or during the summer when it was still light, it was so brutally hot and humid, it was impossible to take walk for exercise. I don't snack at bedtime, but I don't have restful sleep, and I know that causes more cortisol production which increase fat around the waist.

While I was recently visiting ODS and DIL for the birth of GS, I was staying in their home. They didn't have candy or bread or the kind of snacks DH buys. We were at the hospital for most of the first 2 days, so I ended up skipping a couple of meals and just had coffee. I'd get up early before it got too hot outside and take a long walk (about 2 miles) with ODS dogs to give them attention and tire them out. I'd be drenched in perspiration by the time I got back, so between the no sugar, the extra exercise and water weight lost from perspiring, I dropped 7 lbs the week I was there. I actually felt good for the first time in a long time. Part of that I believe was only getting blasted by DH's stress when I would call him (and he would actually answer; he likes to "ignore" me when I'm out of town as a "punishment" for not being there, even though he is the one always saying "go, have fun". That, my friends, is a trap I've fallen into over and over again!

As soon as I got back home, I'm right back into my bad habits. Wine at night, my favorite onion cheese and wheat crackers magically appear while I'm cooking dinner, DH decides to make chocolate milkshakes a couple of nights ( :? ) and BAM! those 7 lbs are back and probably more.

I appreciate this thread and am going to use it to motivate myself to cut out the sugar and start walking every night. I know I will never lose all 17 lbs and my doctor tells me that for a woman my age (thanks, doc) I'm at a healthy weight. Still in all, I don't like the "meno-pot" that nature seems to want to toss in there even while it is shrinking muscle mass (why, Nature? why?) My goal is to drop those 7 lbs again. The other 10, I'll maybe just live with. After all, for a woman "my age"........
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby miwako » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:15 am

"I appreciate this thread and am going to use it to motivate myself to cut out the sugar and start walking every night."

That's a good way to do it. It's so easy to get carried away and make up a big elaborate plan that works great on paper, but can't actually be done. A good idea I remember reading is to use the restroom at work on a different floor than your desk to add a little activity throughout the day. I'm trying to replace some of the high calorie foods I like with similar, "cheaper" ones- popcorn instead of chips, fruit instead of cookies, etc.

My back is doing better, but I'm still having to be really careful with it. Spending 20 minutes a day with my head hanging off the edge of the bed and another 30 lying face down on the floor has done a lot of good for me, but it takes so much time! I'm trying not to over exert myself and to do yoga more regularly. That gets tricky, because I can't do yoga on a full stomach, but I frequently forget until I'm hungry again!

Getting a size up in clothing doesn't always work, especially on a small bone structure. I'm short, so getting a size large means the armholes are nearly to my waist, which actually restricts movement, but the hips are still a little tight, and the whole thing is too long. I was really frustrated when i ordered a t-shirt that was a little tight, ordered another one a size up and it was the same width, but an inch longer! I'm actually planning on heading out to Joann's today (I have a coupon!) to get some materials to make a blouse that will fit me.

When I made my food journal I estimated what my baseline was (I used 1800 calories) and just tried to stay under it most days. Some days I managed 1200, others closer to 1780, and sometimes I went over, but that's ok. I didn't want my metabolism slowing down to cope with the lower calorie intake, so I figured I'd go over once or twice a week and that would be fine.

Good luck everyone! We can do this!
miwako
Enraged

Postby blue iris » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:18 pm

Oh, boy, how I wish I had never read this post! But I have to be honest that I need to lose weight too. I'm sure my back problems would be less then. I recently had a cardiac scare, which turned out to be nothing, thank goodness. No bypass or stent needed. But doc said I need to lose weight. His idea is for me to cut out all carbs and sugars. To never, ever again have potatoes, rice, bread, noodles, pancakes, or ice cream, cake, etc. I told my husband I might as well just buy a gun and shoot myself now. No way could I ever stick to that kind of diet! And really, there's no reason to be miserable for the rest of my life, either.

So my plan is to try several different ideas and see what works. One is to eliminate half the carbs I currently eat, like no bread and potatoes at the same meal. Sigh. I really love those! Another plan is to be vigilant about what I eat for 5 days, and then eat what I want the other two. Also, looking into an exercise class called Silver Sneakers, for seniors (I'm 66). But I know I could never do a class for an hour to start, so have to figure that out yet.

My biggest problem is that I have little to no will power. Anyone know where to get some?
blue iris
Fuming

Postby miwako » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:39 pm

My suggestion would be to pick one of those things you really love each day and have that. Like you said, have bread or potatoes. If you want ice cream, have that instead. And don't eat it watching TV, savor it undistracted, you'll eat less and enjoy it more. I think that's what worked for me with calorie counting, nothing was banned and I could eat whatever I wanted, it just had to add up to under a certain amount.
miwako
Enraged

Postby miwako » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm down two pounds from the last time I weighed myself! It could just be a normal fluctuation, but at least I can fluctuate that low now!
miwako
Enraged

Postby Hiddenjem » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:41 am

Blue Iris and Watchingmyback,

Thank you all for responding!

It helped me get past the shame of my choices and move into making changes!

Watchingmyback, Miwake, and Blue Iris,

It is ironic about the 17 pounds being the average! I know we can make the changes needed to be improve our health and meet our goals!

Miwako,

Congratulations! I am excited for you! Two pounds down!!! :D

-------

We can all do it!

---------

Update

I haven't weighed in again but I did make steps for better lifestyle choices.

I have spent less time laying around using the Internet and watching television. The word "exercise" just sounds unmotivating me so I use "movement."

I spend a lot more time "moving my body" whether it is walking the entire store while at store buying even just a few groceries or straightening/ cleaning up house.

The reality is job hunting isn't going well. It has contributed to the weight gain with stress eating. Plus, it is "cinnamon season" and I am allergic (so many work places would be deadly for me.)

As a result, I am giving up looking until January when the cinnamon pine cones (etc) go away. I accept it and won't waste time hoping for a job until then. My self confidence is lower than normal and I need to work on improving it! Job hunting rejection is brutal and can be taken away for now. It can be eliminated until January.

I found a blog with cheap, easy and nutrious meal ideas complete with recipes!

Also, I found my hula hoop! We have a pool, a elliptical, weigh lifting equipment, exercise bike, regular bike, and exercise balls. We have dogs that like being walked. Also, Wii dance.

The only things that sound appealing for now are hula hooping, using the pool (until we close it for the season) and walking the dogs.

I have a bike that I love but it has been too hot this summer.

After the pool is closed for the season, it would be the perfect opportunity to switch to bike riding with fall weather!

WillTheTruthBeTold,

Willpower is a tough one. I found some once I confessed about my weight gain on this thread. Now, that everyone knows, I have to do something to change! Actually, I was depressed about my weight until I shared my situation. It seems that by coming out in the open with it, changes just have to be made! Otherwise, I would just be wasting my time complaining with no action.

I am also getting mine by visualizing the future.

I want to be healthy, feel good both in and out of my clothes, and be able to be a fun grandparent when that time arrives someday. (I even visualize meeting the goal in my mind to keep the motivation going.)

Either I keep on doing what led me "here" and end up at a weight that limits my options and risks my health.

Or do what it takes to have the best life quality!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby blue iris » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Jem, every time I walk into Joann Fabrics this time of year, I think of you because of the cinnamon pinecones right by the door. Ugh! Deadly for sure. I don't care for the scent but I'm not allergic like you. How do you even know what stores are ok? That stuff seems to be everywhere.
blue iris
Fuming

Postby miwako » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Having a scent allergy is really awful. I get nasty all day headaches from artificial fragrance. I had to badger my work to stop putting these horrid air fresheners in the rest room because the stench was overpowering.
miwako
Enraged

Postby Hiddenjem » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Miwako,

I am glad they took the scent out of the rest room for you and for benefit of so many people. Sorry to hear about your headache reaction to scents!

Blue Iris,

My options for being safe are

1. Ask a employee coming out of the store if they have cinnamon

2. Have my teens or husband go inside and check

It is challanging and annoying having severe allergies.
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby WatchingMyBack » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:34 pm

How about becoming a Dog Walker as a job until you're ready to look again? That would accomplish two goals at once -- Excercise & Income

I think Care.com has a place to register to be a Dog Walker, or maybe an add on Craig's List?

I think the Dogvacay.com might be another, but am not sure if you have to board the dog at your house with that one. Maybe some people prefer their pet(s) stay home.

When DH and I talk about what we'll do with our time when we retire, dog walking is one of the short term commitment "jobs" that comes up.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”
WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:55 pm

I will check into it. I appreciate it the idea. Thank you Watchingmyback!
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:58 am

I so feel you on this. It's affecting my self-esteem. I'm 20 lbs overweight for my height and stature. Some of it came from being pregnant, and the rest came from the stress of a horrible husband and an even more horrible divorce. Most of my clothes are tight, if I can even get into them at all. I know that it's cheaper to lose weight than it is to buy a whole new wardrobe, but that motivates me only so far.

One thing, and probably the only thing, that I found I could do without much effort is I got a treadmill and put it in front of the TV. That way, I can watch my shows and walk at the same time. And the workout flies by when you're distracted by something else :) I've also gotten a big wooden board and laid it across the handles, put my laptop on it and done whatever I need to do on the comp while I walk.

I like WMB's idea of dog walking. I never thought of that!

Scent allergies are awful. I don't have them now, but when I was pregnant I got horribly sick from the smell of cooking meat. It made me so, so sick, to the point that I would almost vomit on the spot. Ugh!
mamarama
Nuclear

Next

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk